Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No appetite

Default No appetite

Aargh apologies if this is a duplicate thread ..... Just spent ages typing up a lengthy post and it vanished I'll keep this one very simple (if the other one appears feel free to delete this)

2year old neutered Bob has lost his appetite, we've had him at the vets twice and she can't find any reason for it at all! He's reasonably perky in himself (not hunched up and trying to avoid us as per previous bouts of stasis), teeth are fine, gut feels fine, temp fine etc etc but he's just "off" .... I know that is a terrible vague thing to say but I also know you all know exactly what I mean lol.

He's ignoring fresh veggies, not eating his hay and has only been nibbling on his bedding straw! He got some fluids and gut stimulant as a precaution from the vet but it doesn't seem to have made any difference ...... Minimal poop in his litter tray and he's not had much water either by the look of it.

There have been no changes to the environment to upset him so I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?

No idea but can you syringe feed him critical care to get something into him and maybe make it quite watery so he's getting fluids too.

Tried and failed miserably I'm afraid, he's quite a handful and is almost impossible to hold to syringe feed so I've mixed up a bit of cc in a dish with some fruit juice in the hope he'll be tempted to lap some of it up (no joy as yet)

Edit: just dropped a couple of slices of banana into the mix and he's having a nibble ..... Not very enthusiastically but I'll take the small victory for now
    Last edited by Mrs Carr; 29-06-2017 at 11:43 AM.

What about herbs or fresh grass? If he doesn't eat soon I would take him back and get him admitted for an IV.

Is he moulting?

Turning his nose up at fresh dill and mint as well, he just ate a full slice of banana out the dish so he'd have got some critical care in him at the same time plus a munch of some more straw!

He is moulting quite heavily at the moment!

Wise Old Thumper

Are you confident with your vet? Whilst I can appreciate that she can't find the cause, I would have hoped that she would have suggested some further diagnostic tests, as he will become very poorly if he doesn't eat or drink very much, especially if he won't tolerate syringe-feeding.

If you are happy with the vet's competence then I too would take him back. Sending lots of vibes for him.

Sorry Bob is off colour. brambles are good for stasis & moulting - I wonder if he would be tempted by them. If he is so difficult to syringe feed I think I'd get my vet on to it. I hope he feels better soon

I think some bunnies don't feel that great when they moult although I'm no expert. If he isn't back to normal soon I would definitely pop him back to the vets as they can inject the meds too getting him eating quicker hopefully.

Mama Doe

I am going through similar with Hettie at the moment. She was admitted on Monday to the vets and has been there ever since - she is refusing to eat anything but is bright and alert.

All I would say is he needs to be admitted - I struggle to syringe feed Hettie as she's so big and strong and stroppy, but the nurses there have been managing it - I guess they do it almost every day. She has also been on a drip to keep her hydrated. It's essential your guy gets food inside him
    Bunny mum to Dixie, Blue, Indy (trio), Sir Humphrey Floofalot and River & Albie!
    Piggy mum to Mabel, Peaches and Buzz

Just went out shopping for some more treats to try and tempt him, he was nibbling on some hay when I got in so it IS a start but he's not not getting the quantities he needs, gonna give him a bit longer to see if he takes a notion for anything I've bought and if need be ill get him back to the vets later on if there's no sign of him drinking or pooping.

I have him confined to his pen at the moment to make it easier to monitor his litter tray but would I be better off letting him out so he can be more active? ( if he wants to be)