• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hettie - stasis

catherine09

Mama Doe
Hettie has been in stasis since Saturday. After a couple of visits to my local vet and realising this was a more serious bout of stasis then she has ever previously had, I got her referred to Anton vets and took her up there Monday evening, she was admitted.

They x rayed her and the only thing they could see was a tiny bit of gas in her tummy.

Despite intensive medication, fluids etc she has not eaten voluntarily AT ALL since she first stopped eating on Saturday. They are syringe feeding her so she is pooing but they're sticky and horrible.

I have asked to speak to John in the morning re where we go from here, see what more diagnostics he can do to find out why she still refuses to even try to eat 4 days on.

I've never had it where a bunny has refused to eat for this length of time, so I am worried and convinced there is something underlying.

Thoughts anyone?

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but really hope the vet can get to the root of the problem. Sending lots of vibes for Hettie xxxx

Sending lots of vibes for her. I hope you are able to discuss this tomorrow with John and agree what other tests can be performed.

I presume that teeth have been definitely ruled out as being the cause?

I'm sorry to read this, Catherine. Poor Hettie.
I was just about to message you as have had cards through for B & S's boosters but think you have enough on your plate right now. x

When J&B stopped eating (cause not identified) in Dec it took over a week before they showed enthusiasm for food. It freaked me out as I'd never experienced gut stasis for more than a few hours. It sounds a good plan to review everything with John.

Lots of vibes for Hettie xx

I'm sorry to read this, Catherine. Poor Hettie.
I was just about to message you as have had cards through for B & S's boosters but think you have enough on your plate right now. x

Oh goodness. The vaccine is out of stock everywhere - I'll get them put on a waiting list for a vaccine clinic - hopefully they will have one soon.

To top it off - I just got rivers front paw caught in the door and now she's hardly bearing any weight on it. Given her a dose of metacam and will take her to the vets tomorrow. Feeling very low tonight :(

Back