• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boey had gastro surgery today

We took him to the vet, no blockage so he was given some emperid and a stronger painkiller. We took him home and he ate some basil drunk half a bowl of water and took 15ml of critical care.

I got up at 230am to give him more critical care but he ate pellets instead. This morning he has taken a treat. So relieved we caught it in time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Phew! I'm pleased to see this update. I'm glad you took him and well done Boey for starting to eat again :D

Thank goodness for that. Well done Boey. Our scare was with Bracken, some weeks ago...eating cardboard and wallpaper! He was on Emeprid, Zantac, Metacam and several sessions of Liquid Paraffin. ...oh, and a drip overnight. Took over a week for him to get better, it's so scary. I picked sow thistle for him, which is what got him eating properly again.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Hes still not right wouldnt eat breakfast but would take a fenugreek crunchie. We have given him more meds and are going to take him back to his normal vets this morning to get a propper examination.

I really hate that he keeps getting stasis, this is the 5th time this year i think. I just hate seeing him in pain, wish they knew the underlying cause. And people say bunnies are easy pets?! Hes been through £4k of vet treatment in the last couple of years thank god for insurance and savings

More vibes for Boey. Not knowing the cause is stressful as is the fact recovery can take so long. No blockage is good news. Does he like brambles?

We took him to the vet, no blockage so he was given some emperid and a stronger painkiller. We took him home and he ate some basil drunk half a bowl of water and took 15ml of critical care.

I got up at 230am to give him more critical care but he ate pellets instead. This morning he has taken a treat. So relieved we caught it in time.

HI Stuart

I am glad you took him to the vet. I hope he continues to improve over the day.

Are you able (or someone) to be at home with him?

Thanks all. Hes still not right wouldnt eat breakfast but would take a fenugreek crunchie. We have given him more meds and are going to take him back to his normal vets this morning to get a propper examination.

I really hate that he keeps getting stasis, this is the 5th time this year i think. I just hate seeing him in pain, wish they knew the underlying cause. And people say bunnies are easy pets?! Hes been through £4k of vet treatment in the last couple of years thank god for insurance and savings

I really hope that your usual Vet is able to shed a bit more light on what may be going on xx

They are absolutely not!

When I am rehoming I do my best to highlight how bl@@day difficult they are :)

Went to the vets she checked him. He's not blocked and his stomach is soft and fine and his teeth are not bad. Hes had more opiates and a fluid injection and come home so we can nurse him he's very sleepy and will nibble at foods just doesnt have his normal spark.

Went to the vets she checked him. He's not blocked and his stomach is soft and fine and his teeth are not bad. Hes had more opiates and a fluid injection and come home so we can nurse him he's very sleepy and will nibble at foods just doesnt have his normal spark.

That is probably due to the highly sedating effects of opiate analgesia.Did the Vet not explain that to you ?

The opiates will have made his sleepy, but this should wear off in a few hours time.

He will seem very lethargic, but hopefully by later tonight he will begin to pick up.

Buprecare and Vetergesic are the most common ones used for rabbits - buprenorphine

Last edited:
Yeah hes just snoozing. Keeps sniffing food but isn't really interested. Going to give him some critical care in a bit

P
f7d451dc68b1e99db98308f06e735543.jpg
abdac1f5394518107214213847e8bb82.jpg

Sending you an Boey more positive vibes. Jane and MM are correct that the pain meds given by the vet can make a bunny lethargic.
Having a stasis bunny can be exhausting.
I hope Boey is taking the Critical Care well. It is so important to keep something in the bunny's gut to keep it moving.
He is a lovely bunny and I know you care deeply for him and will do everything right.

Lovely pics of Boey :love:

Sending lots of vibes for him. I hope he starts eating again soon.

He is nibbling on hay, fibre sticks, alpha hay cubes, cabbage, pellets just not with his usual hunger. He has done some poos too they weren't great but better than nothing!

More emperid, zantac & metacam tonight. He had some critical care earlier.

Hoping by morning he's a bit brighter [emoji195][emoji9][emoji195]

He is nibbling on hay, fibre sticks, alpha hay cubes, cabbage, pellets just not with his usual hunger. He has done some poos too they weren't great but better than nothing!

More emperid, zantac & metacam tonight. He had some critical care earlier.

Hoping by morning he's a bit brighter [emoji195][emoji9][emoji195]

Guarded good news :)

I hope he's even better by the morning.

Back