• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boey had gastro surgery today

Few more poos this afternoon and has nibbled a bit of kale. So relieved hes eating again

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hes home everyone 😁😁😁😁🥕💪🐰

Got plenty of meds and had to go back on monday but is eating and drinking by himself

Trying to keep him locked in his bedroom for now
ad7078910674e508b97ada25b96997c9.jpg
b614eee497edc991965dad5f8c8d6b27.jpg

Thanks all we are very relieved.

Vet said the risk now is of adhesions forming in his intestines. Anyone had a bunny have this op? Just trying to know what to look out for, back to the vets on monday for another check up and some blood tests so will ask her then.

He seems happy is nibbling herbs, carrot tops and some pellets but doesnt have his normal hunger back yet.

Im also worried about his belly wound. She said it was internally stitched and not to worry but to stop him jumping and climbing on things. Harder than you think as he wants to be on top of everything

Vet said the risk now is of adhesions forming in his intestines. Anyone had a bunny have this op? Just trying to know what to look out for, back to the vets on monday for another check up and some blood tests so will ask her then.

He seems happy is nibbling herbs, carrot tops and some pellets but doesnt have his normal hunger back yet.

Im also worried about his belly wound. She said it was internally stitched and not to worry but to stop him jumping and climbing on things. Harder than you think as he wants to be on top of everything

Yeah, sadly, seven times, four different bunnies. *Touch wood* none of them have suffered adhesions that I'm aware of. It's really hard for them to avoid it apparently with all the handling of the intestines, I was told with Elijah's first operation that they 'used plenty of saline' to try and avoid adhesions'. I guess abdominal pain type symptoms same as you see with stasis would be your clue. I did have a rabbit that developed adhesions after bladder surgery but I wasn't aware he had then until he had kidney stone surgery and the vet informed me he had adhesions from the previous surgery.

Thanks. Hes eating some apple leaves I've liberated from next doors tree at the moment.

I think if your vet has said this, it may well be worth asking about Verapamil.

It's been used before to prevent post-spay adhesions in rabbits.
In female rabbits, it manifests as repeated stasis episodes and abdominal pain.

Have a look here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2296179

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/2812657/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2526310

I know that Twigs Way (aka parsnipbun on here) knows about this - worth sending her a PM?

Good luck x

Well todays not going great. Popped out to the shop and came home to piles of fur. They've had a fight, tron is hiding and seems to have lost their scuffle. She hopped back into him then they fought again for a second before i could break it up. His wound seems ok and both arw hopping ok.

Have split them up but next to each other for now as dont want boeys wound to get damaged.

😭😭

aww im glad things are working out for boey. It sounds like tron is taking advantage because she knows boey is vulnerable. Vibes sent for boey that no adhesions occur. xx

They've both calmed down. Ive put a baby gate and puppy panel between them for the time being so boey can recover then try and rebond them once they're all back to normal. We are having our first baby in 8 weeks so need the bunnies back to normal by then!

They've both calmed down. Ive put a baby gate and puppy panel between them for the time being so boey can recover then try and rebond them once they're all back to normal. We are having our first baby in 8 weeks so need the bunnies back to normal by then!

Aaaww congrats on the baby :D

I hope Boey recovers well and that they get back together asap :)

Back