• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boey had gastro surgery today

StuartR

Warren Scout
Boey had another bout of stasis last night and this morning. We gave him metacam and zantac last night then straight to the vets, his blood sugars were really high so they diagnosed an intestinal blockage.

He has surgery at 12pm vet says she managed to milk the intestine into the secome and clear that. His stomach was full of gas and fluid so she drained that.

We are just waiting for the vets to call and say hes fully recovered as he was really slow to come round from the anaesthetic.

Just got to wait and hope he's ok. We love him so much so glad we have such a good vets so close
cdd63b9603058a9a5d24381fa46c1c57.jpg
6c22bc69b5f54eba853f0ca596db8117.jpg
81a594f814e2214e5340ccd4cab771f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hundreds of vibes for Boeys smooth recovery. He is a beautiful rabbit. You're vet did good - blockage surgery is difficult. Please keep us updated x

Hundreds of vibes for Boeys smooth recovery. He is a beautiful rabbit. You're vet did good - blockage surgery is difficult. Please keep us updated x
Thanks

He's in an incubator now and is off oxygen. First 3 days are critical theyve said for any complications.

Just spoke to nurse he's had 20ml of critical care and seems ok. Lets hope his gut starts moving over night 🐰🐰

Boey had another bout of stasis last night and this morning. We gave him metacam and zantac last night then straight to the vets, his blood sugars were really high so they diagnosed an intestinal blockage.

He has surgery at 12pm vet says she managed to milk the intestine into the secome and clear that. His stomach was full of gas and fluid so she drained that.

We are just waiting for the vets to call and say hes fully recovered as he was really slow to come round from the anaesthetic.

Just got to wait and hope he's ok. We love him so much so glad we have such a good vets so close
cdd63b9603058a9a5d24381fa46c1c57.jpg
6c22bc69b5f54eba853f0ca596db8117.jpg
81a594f814e2214e5340ccd4cab771f3.jpg

Oh dear, beautiful Boey :love:

Did the vet say what had caused the blockage?

Vibes for you all xx

Oh dear, beautiful Boey :love:

Did the vet say what had caused the blockage?

Vibes for you all xx
Not sure but there was fur in his stomach when she released the gas. Hes been moulting again so must be that, he is very stasis prone, this is his 3rd episode this year but by far the most serious

Not sure but there was fur in his stomach when she released the gas. Hes been moulting again so must be that, he is very stasis prone, this is his 3rd episode this year but by far the most serious

Looking forward, from what you've said, is he eating sufficient hay do you think? Not giving advice here, but just wondering why this seems to happen on a regular basis ...

Looking forward, from what you've said, is he eating sufficient hay do you think? Not giving advice here, but just wondering why this seems to happen on a regular basis ...
He has unlimited timothyhay.co.uk hay topped up daily. Minimal pellets and greens. Would love him to eat more as its so good for him but he munches his fair share.

He has unlimited timothyhay.co.uk hay topped up daily. Minimal pellets and greens. Would love him to eat more as its so good for him but he munches his fair share.

Sounds good.

Have you thought about forage?

http://www.kanin.org/?q=node/193

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Plants toxic to rabbits.pdf

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Toxic & Safe Plants v2.pdf

(Apologies if you know all this already. I find bramble leaves and forage in general, quite high in fibre and good for my buns digestions)

Sounds good.

Have you thought about forage?

http://www.kanin.org/?q=node/193

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Plants toxic to rabbits.pdf

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Toxic & Safe Plants v2.pdf

(Apologies if you know all this already. I find bramble leaves and forage in general, quite high in fibre and good for my buns digestions)
Thanks always good to get more info and will have a look

They do get forage occasionally and have been destroying an apple tree recently but anything thatll improve his gut im open to

[emoji1] [emoji4]

Thanks always good to get more info and will have a look

They do get forage occasionally and have been destroying an apple tree recently but anything thatll improve his gut im open to

[emoji1] [emoji4]

:D

(ps, the instagram doesn't work?)

Spoke to vet this morning and he's doing well. Did 6 poos last night, still not eating himself but she's pleased with him and he might be coming home on Saturday

Spoke to vet this morning and he's doing well. Did 6 poos last night, still not eating himself but she's pleased with him and he might be coming home on Saturday

That's excellent news :D

Back