• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits gone off hay

Bergmaus

New Kit
Good afternoon, I'm hoping for a little advice.

I have four rabbits (2 bonded pairs) and all four of them have lost interest in hay and hardly eat any at all. I used to get a big bail from the local farmer but now they do t even seen interested in shop bought Timothy Hay.

My question to you is, how do I improve my rabbits intake of hay and what hay do you feed your bunnies?

I don't want to pay ridiculous prices so any cost saving advice is welcome

Generally speaking I don't find shop boughy Timothy to be great quality. My buns won't touch it!
I buy my hay from www.timothyhay.co.uk :) They are sold out atm but it will be back on sale by Friday hopefully, Monday at the very latest. It's green, stalky and has really long strands which my buns love. Smells lovely too. I'm pretty sure that they would send you out a sample of you asked.

Ings hay from http://www.hay-and-straw.co.uk/ always seems to go down well too and they send out samples also :)

Both of these places charge around £20 for 10kg but it's excellent quality hay.
Xx

Could it be that they're eating other foods and getting full before having hay? E.g. are you feeding pellets too?
I struggle to find hay from local farmers so I go shop bought, or rather internet bought
I feed mine King Alfafa brand Timothy Hay like this https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/alfalfa-king-timothy-hay.html
and they love it and produce big golden poo. I shop around on the internet and find savings through buying bigger packs.
Perhaps you could encourage more hay eating by hiding herbs in the hay so that they forage? or try different brands of hay until you find one that they like.

In the long term ensuring that your buns eat plenty of hay will hopefully save on vet bills, as it wears their teeth and keeps their gut healthy. I take the view that I may as well spend extra upfront on hay, keep them healthy and so no vet bills.
I hope that helps :lol:

Back