• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Feeder

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I used to use an underbed storage but Sy started digging in it and the fresh hay would always be mixed in with the fitch and poops :roll: So we ordered them a litter tray/hay feeder combo to use instead. Do I have to change the hay in the feeder daily or can I just leave it in there until it is eaten and keep topping it up?! It would be nice if we didn't have to waste so much hay going forward!

This might be a stupid question the more I think about it... :lol:

Well my rabbits oddly do not like taking hay out of a rack or feeder :roll: Nevertheless I do have one and the hay in there lasts a long time before it's consumed. I've never considered changing it. It it untouched by rabbit mouth (or any other part of rabbit) :lol: and in terms of its age, that is the same as the remaining hay in the bag.

I used to use an underbed storage but Sy started digging in it and the fresh hay would always be mixed in with the fitch and poops :roll: So we ordered them a litter tray/hay feeder combo to use instead. Do I have to change the hay in the feeder daily or can I just leave it in there until it is eaten and keep topping it up?! It would be nice if we didn't have to waste so much hay going forward!

This might be a stupid question the more I think about it... :lol:

Well you know rabbits, once hay's been out for longer than half an hour it's old. Yes, it's exactly the same age as the hay still in the bag, but somehow it's different.

I completely renew my rabbits' hay three times daily (or more if eaten beforehand). They go crazy when it's new, and eat bowlfuls - they don't have a rack.

I reckon if I gave them a huge pile and left it until it was eaten, it wouldn't be.

Contrary animals :roll:

(I put uneaten hay into the litter tray, where it once again becomes a novelty. Until it wears off!)

I do the same as you mightymax. My buns go mad when i give them fresh hay, so i give it they throughout the day and they eat more of it that way. The ones outside have a hay rack over the litter trays and they do use it but most ends up in the trays so i give them hay through the day too. Funny bunnies :lol:

I also rotate the hay from the hay rack, to a pile under a log tunnel and then into the litter tray. Each time the hay is moved the buns pounce on it, even shuffling the existing hay in the rack makes it more desirable!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I should mention that they have 3 litter trays between the two rooms and only one of them has a hay feeder attached. The other two get topped up throughout the day with various different hays so it's nice and fresh but for some reason Sylar decided to just start digging this one box... hence the hay feeder. He doesn't dig the others at all! Strange boy.
I think that I'll try not changing it and see what happens...

Last edited:
Back