• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny/sticky eye advice please.

Kim_w

Mama Doe
One of my rabbit has a slight runny eye at the end of April. Took her to the vets who gave her some isathal. The eye cleared up quickly.
A couole of weeks ago she had discharge again from the same eye. The vet gave her isathal again but after a week it was still sticky so she was given baytrill alongside that. Went back today after another week and although the eye is a look better she still has milky discharge.
The vet has mentioned flushing her tear duct out but has said to try another week of baytrill and isathal first as the eye has improved.

Have any of you got experience of sticky eyes?
Flopsy has been really good at taking her medication i am keeping everything crossed that she wont need her duct flushing as will need an anaesthetic but as her eye dorsnt seem to be clearing up i do think is going to need it doing 😢 poor bunny

One of my rabbit has a slight runny eye at the end of April. Took her to the vets who gave her some isathal. The eye cleared up quickly.
A couole of weeks ago she had discharge again from the same eye. The vet gave her isathal again but after a week it was still sticky so she was given baytrill alongside that. Went back today after another week and although the eye is a look better she still has milky discharge.
The vet has mentioned flushing her tear duct out but has said to try another week of baytrill and isathal first as the eye has improved.

Have any of you got experience of sticky eyes?
Flopsy has been really good at taking her medication i am keeping everything crossed that she wont need her duct flushing as will need an anaesthetic but as her eye dorsnt seem to be clearing up i do think is going to need it doing 😢 poor bunny

I am sorry you haven't had a reply sooner :)

Yes, sticky eyes are common in rabbits. I am surprised that your vet tried so many options before offering to flush the tear duct. However, I am also surprised that your vet needs to give an anaesthetic for this procedure. That's a shame - a lot of vets can do this with the rabbit awake. I have even done this myself at home, as the vet supplied me with all the equipment.

So you can either find a vet who will do this whilst she is awake (and it's your right to choose another vet if your vet cannot do this without anaesthesia, which is obviously risky), or you can ask your vet to flush the tear duct. Often though, eyes that are persistently sticky may require regular flushing. One of my rabbits had his done every six weeks. A local anaesthetic is given into the eye whilst the rabbit is awake so they don't feel anything.

Often baytril is used to flush the tear duct, as this antibiotic may help keep the bugs away. It's important to get it dealt with, as otherwise the fur around the eye can degrade and be uncomfortable for the rabbit as it gets pretty sore.

What you can do, as her eye seems to be getting a bit better at the moment, is to get a warm compress of just warm boiled water on a cotton pad and gently press just below the eye, where the tear duct is. This may help to release more gunk and then you can clean it away.

Some reading:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...bbit-Survive-(&p=6928469&posted=1#post6928469

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fcORMIj9l8

Good luck Kim :)

Thankyou i will get some cotton pads and try that.

I had been googling and did see that some vets did it under sedation or usung nothing.
Flopsy is a good patient at the vets so i reckon wouldnt too hard to do. Saying that though i do like the vet she is good with her so i wouldnt want to take her somewhere else.

Thankyou i will get some cotton pads and try that.

I had been googling and did see that some vets did it under sedation or usung nothing.
Flopsy is a good patient at the vets so i reckon wouldnt too hard to do. Saying that though i do like the vet she is good with her so i wouldnt want to take her somewhere else.

Good to keep your vet on side if possible ;)

Good luck with the compresses :)

I dont wabt to temp fate but her eye looks great at the min. Fingers crossed her meds have cleared it!

Back