• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny sneezing without Snuffles!

I think that you can get it in both but I get dried Echinacea herb from Galens Garden.
Hopefully someone else can help you if you'd prefer the other stuff :D

Well... that could also be the problem.

It might be worth trying a different antibiotic. There are so many available! A lot of mone rabbit savvy vets seem to stick to Baytril and then Baytril again and then again.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!

That's exactly what happened!! That's why I left that vet practice. The new vet said taking too much antibiotics when they are not needed/working can actually cause more damage! It made me so angry! I just thought that they have been through years of training to become a vet and I am paying loads of money to them - just get it right!

I think that you can get it in both but I get dried Echinacea herb from Galens Garden.
Hopefully someone else can help you if you'd prefer the other stuff :D

Oh no, that's great, they love dried herbs! I don't know what Galens Garden is, but is it the type of herb you buy specifically for animals, or are you buying human stuff?

My bunny Dave has snuffles, I gave him echinacea on MMS advice and I'm sure it helped. Now he's in with Lucy I can't tell if he eats the nuggets with echinacea on or Lucy eats it, so I stopped using it. Thinking about it, I don't think echinacea would be bad for Lucy would it, so I could start again? The sneezing doesn't seem to bother him though, and I decided it was better for him to have a wife bun than to live alone, Lucy has not started so hopefully she hasn't 'caught' it.

No of course it wouldn't matter if Lucy ate the echinacea nuggets too :D With echinacea I tend to give it for three weeks, then take a break for a week or so.

There are lots more things to try, to boost immune and help a rabbit fight off infection. Antibiotics can cause gut disturbance and I don't think strengthen the immune system. I was quite surprised when my vet didn't automatically give them but instead she advised I try other channels. I was very pleased though :)

That's why I started my other thread about snotty rabbits. It's such an intractable problem, and in so many rabbits too!

No of course it wouldn't matter if Lucy ate the echinacea nuggets too :D With echinacea I tend to give it for three weeks, then take a break for a week or so.

There are lots more things to try, to boost immune and help a rabbit fight off infection. Antibiotics can cause gut disturbance and I don't think strengthen the immune system. I was quite surprised when my vet didn't automatically give them but instead she advised I try other channels. I was very pleased though :)

That's why I started my other thread about snotty rabbits. It's such an intractable problem, and in so many rabbits too!

Thanks MM, I'll do the 3 weeks on and off, good idea! X

Back