• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coping with loss of mate

BeccyHeath

New Kit
Hi,
I joined today. I'm currently devastated after the loss of my boy this morning having him put to sleep on the vets advise due to unknown illness. He was only 4 and I've only had him just over a year. I never knew I could feel this upset, it really feels like the loss of a human family member, the pain is that strong. Sorry, I'm throwing my grief into making sure his bonded mate copes with this loss.

She is an unspayed female, bit of a grump bag but loved her mate so much. It's hard as she's not a people person she doesn't get comfort from me so I feel a bit useless. I have no immediate concerns as she's eating ok but obviously we only lost our boy this morning so it may not have hit her yet. I just feel empty and like I need to do something.

Anything to look out for, or anything I can do just incase?

She lives outside, she will come to me for treats but in a vary wary way and she hates being picked up. We took the bunnies on from friends who had grown bored of them so they didn't get much interaction hence her being wary of people, our boy was friendlier and would willingly get on my lap (for treats!).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm very sorry for your loss. [emoji17]

Many of us on here have been in the same position with a grieving partner left behind. It's good that your little one is eating but it's best to keep an eye on her over the next few days. A lot of people find that giving a few distraction toys can help take their minds off their loss.

Are you planning on getting her a new friend? A lot of us have found that's the best tonic for a bereaved bunny, especially for those who prefer bunny companionship to humans. Although I appreciate that may not be an option for if you're not planning on having any more bunnies in the near future.

If you think you'd like to get her a friend a local rescue would be the best bet as you would be able to get her a neutered male and a lot of rescues help with the bonding.

I know it probably feels far too soon to think about getting another bunny so soon after your loss, especially when your grief is still very raw. It's still very early days for both you and your little girl but it may be something to consider when you're ready.

Lots of hugs for you as well. They really do leave huge paw prints on our hearts and it's devastating when they have to leave us [emoji17] xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So very sorry you lost your boy. It is hard to lose one of your fur babies and even harder worrying about how your girl must feel. Scrappy has give you sound advice above. Take each day as it comes but keep a close eye on her eating and pooing. In the future it might be easier for her to find a husbun if you can manage to get her spayed. All my girls were little grumps till after spaying but they turned surprisingly loving once them pesky hormones were out of the way. Obviously i wouldnt advice spaying just yet until you know how she is going to react over her loss, or weather there are any other reasons she cannot be spayed. Hugs and vibes being sent for you and your girl. xxx

Back