• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

peeing herself/sitting in pee?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
i've not been on in a while as life as been moving so quickly :shock:

anyway; i've come to ask some advise about Luna.

and i have noticed a few times she's pee'd herself - or it seems to be of that effect.

i have possibly picked her out, cupped her bottom and ended up with a rather wet hand and as sure as, its pee. i've then sat down, and sat her on the bottom end of her back (she's not fully back - i would never want to put her in a trance) and wiped it away with a soft tissue, and done a check for any urine scalding.

a few times i've picked her out as well her back feet have been a deep yellow - almost as if she wet herself and sat in it, unaware.

the thing is, i haven't been able to catch this behaviour :? she's downstairs for almost 12 hours a day some days (its usually closer to 8-10 hours) and every time she seems to have been aware of peeing or pooping. she gets "the look" and rocks back and fourth which is pretty amusing. she also always heads to the litter tray too.
along with that, i can't find any accidents in her cage either - its all in the litter tray. the tray is cleaned every 2 days and that's been the routine since i brought her home, and her feetsies have never been a deep yellow. (two days works best as she's down stairs most of the time - downstairs is cleaned every day).

since i've noticed this happening, her sore hocks have gotten worse. i had managed to heal them and i thought i was clearly on the road to less worry about them but apparently not :( many of times she has ripped open her sore hocks which gets extremely bloody and 4 times we've ended up at the vet (out of about 8!) i do know rex's are prone to them and i rescued her with them (she had almost no fur on the entirety of her back legs and she had them on her front toes too!) and its just such a worry as i'm always sure she's gonna rip them open.

and then today she seems to have pee (i think ???) on her front legs!! :shock:
EPrAQFT.jpg
UyK7AKY.jpg

please excuse her claws, im currently in the process of cutting them which usually means being able to do 2-3 nails before i get bitten! so far i've only been able to do one paw and i've been trying for the past almost two weeks :roll: think i might have to give in and head to the vet

does anybody have any idea of what's going on ?
I have been treating the sore hocks with sudocream and then bandaging them to let the cream go on. she's never too happy about it admittedly but she gets a treat so i think it works out lol

The fact that her nails are long will make her more prone to sore hocks and so I would take her to the vet and have them all trimmed if I were you. Regarding the peeing on herself, is it possible she could have a UTI?

The fact that her nails are long will make her more prone to sore hocks and so I would take her to the vet and have them all trimmed if I were you. Regarding the peeing on herself, is it possible she could have a UTI?

I am aware of that yes. I have been keeping them under control up until now, there as for the past almost two weeks I have been trying to cut her nails. she they were last cut 4 weeks ago. she's become a right lil mare. I'm trying to continue the up keep at home so she'll realise she needs to not be a little jerk :lol: however yes - if i can not make any further progress by thursday i will call the vets and ask them.

but even so - her sore hocks have been progressing to become worse since i noticed her peeing on herself, and that was when I was able to clip them.

as for a UTI.. no idea :? we did wonder if she had one when i first got her as she pee'd everywhere, did a test and all came back clear and she seemed to grow out of it.

Back