• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbits

Hi all

I'm after some advice. I'm getting a pair of rabbits in the next couple of weeks. I've had rabbits before but he lived alone. The place I am getting them from only sell them in same sex pairs so they will have lived together but in the company of other bunnies. I plan to have them neutered and was wondering if this will affect their bond? Should I have them neutered at the same time? Also are does easier than bucks when it comes to bonding?

Thanks

Natalie

Both boys and girls will fight when the hormones kick in - so neutering before they start fighting is essential so that the bond isn't broken. Once they start to fight, it can be very difficult to re-bond and they may need to be separated until both are neutered and for a couple of months afterwards so hormone levels reduce before trying again.

Boys can be neutered earlier than girls (approx 3 months vs 6 months for girls) and it is a simpler operation (and usually cheaper) for boys. Whichever you get, I would neuter both at the same time in a same sex pair. If done early, there should be no need to separate and re-bond the pair.

Rabbits are often mis-sexed when young, though - so you may want to double check with your vet so that you don't have an accidental litter. You can discuss vaccinations and neutering at the same time.

Back