• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

runaround or bunny bomb about?

I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this but I want to connect my hutch to the run. I was thinking about getting the runaround connection system but then came across this http://www.bunnybombabout.co.uk/ which is essentially the same thing but a lot cheaper. Has anyone else used the bunny bomb about? is it any good? Also would a 6 inch pipe be big enough for Betty (about the size of a dutch...?) thanks for your help. Maybe I should have got a hamster instead (goes to lie down with a cool flannel)

A 6 inch pipe is fine for Dutchies. The bunny bomb about looks good but Dee Millen is a breeder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will always be wary of cheap runaround imitations. When Welfare Hutches brought out their pipe connectors made from MDF I remember saying 'they won't last as long / be as safe as they are made from ply which warps / splits / rots with water ingress'. Sure enough WH not long ago changed to Perspex as the wooden ones weren't good enough. Spend the extra on runaround, you won't regret doing so. Plus they look a million times better than the bunny bomb about ones!

I will always be wary of cheap runaround imitations. When Welfare Hutches brought out their pipe connectors made from MDF I remember saying 'they won't last as long / be as safe as they are made from ply which warps / splits / rots with water ingress'. Sure enough WH not long ago changed to Perspex as the wooden ones weren't good enough. Spend the extra on runaround, you won't regret doing so. Plus they look a million times better than the bunny bomb about ones!

This for me too :thumb: runaround stuff is brilliant

Recommending Runaround here as well. They were really helpful when I needed a custom connection to fit in where the door is on my wooden run to hook up to the runaround run; basically emailed a description/dimensions of what I wanted and they phoned me to talk it over. What arrived was perfect and my hooligans think its great as they can choose between being on patio or grass as they please.

Been a few years since I last bought from them but wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

I use cardboard pipes from carpets and the like (actually those of coated films we process in our company), they are sturdy, last for years even outside, and are for free when you ask at places where they would go to the trash anyway.

To make bends, I cut out wedges with the chainsaw or Stanley knive, and wrap it with some tape.

Those pipes are a priceless item to get unruly kits back into their hutch after garden time too, shoo them into the pipe and move them...

If you're making your own connectors, the 'old' Welfare-type ones as shown on the Bunny Bomb About website are fine: I wouldn't want to pay for them! :lol: I'd prefer to invest in Runaround connectors. All my tubes are reclaimed from local building sites so if you're up to it, ask around (I kept a saw handy in the car to cut pieces that were too large down!). If you just want a short length there're usually loads of offcuts hanging around highways works :) We had everything from 24" to about 12", all for free :)

We have two set ups with Welfare Hutch tunnels and connectors (connector plates are the newer plastic versions). I'm really happy with them and I think it worked out cheaper than runaround - BUT they recently had a fire and haven't been taking any new orders!

I'm hoping to order another from them when they re-start, as long as it's not too long a wait.

All our buns can fit through a 6 inch pipe. One of them is a Dutch.

I've seen the bunny bomb-about, but I don't know if it's good or not x

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, it's really useful to have input from people who use the stuff. my rabbits are quite destructive so they do need something quite sturdy :roll:

Back