Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit of stasis advice please! U/D It's come back...

Default Bit of stasis advice please! U/D It's come back...

Billy started to develop stasis this morning - he ate some breakfast, but about 2 hours later he was out of sorts.

The vet gave gut mobility meds and pain killers because his gut was sounding sluggish and said to keep an eye on him. He's taken a couple of treats since, but he's not eaten any dinner, had any hay or produced any poos yet (vet trip was at 11am) - I'm starting to wonder if I should dig out the Critical care?

Is there anything else I could try feeding him? Or just give him more time?
    Last edited by MiniC; 02-07-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniC View Post
    Billy started to develop stasis this morning - he ate some breakfast, but about 2 hours later he was out of sorts.

The vet gave gut mobility meds and pain killers because his gut was sounding sluggish and said to keep an eye on him. He's taken a couple of treats since, but he's not eaten any dinner, had any hay or produced any poos yet (vet trip was at 11am) - I'm starting to wonder if I should dig out the Critical care?

Is there anything else I could try feeding him? Or just give him more time?

I would suggest some coriander, parsley or dill waved underneath the nose I often crush it a bit to release the aroma, and even tickle them with it so they grasp it with their teeth.

Rose leaves and fresh picked grass also go down well with my lot.

Good luck

Warren Veteran

I'm sorry that Billy is not eating properly. Have you been given some more medication to continue at home? It's usually necessary to continue with the pain relief and gut meds for at least a couple of days. How is he in himself? Is he moving about or looking as though he's in pain?

I would also try the strong-smelling herbs and other foods that MM has suggested. They often work well. If they don't then I think I would contact the vet again for advice. But yes, I think that if the vet has ruled out a blockage, you will need to be considering syringe-feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I would suggest some coriander, parsley or dill waved underneath the nose I often crush it a bit to release the aroma, and even tickle them with it so they grasp it with their teeth.

Rose leaves and fresh picked grass also go down well with my lot.

Good luck
    Oh good shout! My herbs are looking quite sorry for themselves after the heat, but he nommed on some thyme and strawberry leaves. I might pop to Tesco for some other herbs.

Oh good shout! My herbs are looking quite sorry for themselves after the heat, but he nommed on some thyme and strawberry leaves. I might pop to Tesco for some other herbs.

I am growing strawberry leaves (and the odd strawberry) just for the rabbits. Thank you for reminding me that they are good in times of stasis!

Hope you manage to find some herbs to help out tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I'm sorry that Billy is not eating properly. Have you been given some more medication to continue at home? It's usually necessary to continue with the pain relief and gut meds for at least a couple of days. How is he in himself? Is he moving about or looking as though he's in pain?

I would also try the strong-smelling herbs and other foods that MM has suggested. They often work well. If they don't then I think I would contact the vet again for advice. But yes, I think that if the vet has ruled out a blockage, you will need to be considering syringe-feeding.
    We caught it so early, it didn't really have time to turn into full on stasis, so she didn't think I'd need to continue care at home. I probably will top up with some metacam tomorrow though. I still have gut meds and critical care feed from last time if I need it too.

He was pretty lively at the vets (he needed 2 of us to restrain him for medicine!) and he's moving around a little at home. The only sign of pain was his aggression really - that's eased off at least!

Update- moved his litter tray over to him about 5 mins ago in case he just wasn't wanting to make the trip - he's just passed a long string of poos stuck together with fur - think we found the problem!

Worst of the panic over - thanks guys! Mostly bunny hypochondria now I just need him to eat hay and pellets and we're fine

Update- moved his litter tray over to him about 5 mins ago in case he just wasn't wanting to make the trip - he's just passed a long string of poos stuck together with fur - think we found the problem!

Worst of the panic over - thanks guys! Mostly bunny hypochondria now I just need him to eat hay and pellets and we're fine

A step in the right direction

Hope he eats hay and poos and then you can relax tonight

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    A step in the right direction

Hope he eats hay and poos and then you can relax tonight
    He's tentatively nibbling at a hay cookie now. Think the strawberry leaves reminded him he was hungry!

He's tentatively nibbling at a hay cookie now. Think the strawberry leaves reminded him he was hungry!

Bless