• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food mix

sammy123

Young Bun
Can anyone tell me if this food is ok, as i have never sceen in in the pet stores, "Sweet Meadow Rabbit Mix" the farm where im getting my rabbit from on Saturday say's this is what she on at the moment. Just wondered if anyone knew if its a good make, as ive not seen it anywhere else.

Hi Sammy

I have to admit I've not heard of this one either but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some guidance.

All the best with your new addition :D

Not heard of it or used it personally. After having a quick look on the site I did notice the fibre level is only 9%, ideally pellets should be 12 or 14% or above I believe. Science Selective is 19% and the Burges Pellets are about 12 or 14%, can't rightly remember been a while since I used them.
How old is your bunny? I would let her get settled for a couple of weeks or if laid back then a week and then change over to a higher fibre pellet.

Angela

Hi thanks for your replies my rabbit is 8 weeks, and i have just brought this food today, you could only get it in a massive bag :shock: which should last her a life time :x i guess i will have to change oner fairly soon then :cry:

As Angela has said you defintley need a higher fibre content. I believe 16% is considered average in Rabbit feed.

Louise

Protein levels should be 12-14% for adults and 16% for growing youngsters

Fibre levels should be closer to 18-20%.

High fibre in pellets is particularly important if your bun doesn't eat lots of hay. I think thats why some people find burgess pellets = sticky bums. The fibre level is only 14% in the standard stuff so unless the bun eats plenty of hay to top up the fibre level they end up with sticky bums.

Their junior food has 16% protein which makes sense as its for growing buns but they also list it as for dwarf buns which seems odd to me as nothing I've read suggests adult small rabbits need different protein/fibre levels to medium ones.

The lite version of burgess is much better all round 18% fibre & 12% protein. Which is roughly the same as the supreme science (19% fibre, 14% protein) and the A&P (23% fibre 12% protein).

Tam

Back