• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it big enough?

The perennial question of rabbit housing I know, but here goes: I have a dog crate 4' x 3' x 3' and no attached run. I have one small rabbit of indeterminate breeding, about 6-8 years old (got him from a friend whose daughter was allergic and she wasn't sure). He is loose in the living/dining room when we are home (in summer also the conservatory and sometimes the garden as well but all open so he can get back in) - this gives him a huge space as our living room is 21' long, but he is only out about 4 hours Mon-Fri then more on weekends. He seems happy enough and he goes back in his cage easily but I'm wondering if there is any more I could do..

If you could increase his "shut in" space with some puppy panels that would help and perhaps talk to a rabbit rescue about finding him a friend [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The rwaf recommends a minimum of 60sqft of space for a rabbit to be permanently accessible. Your bunny has only 12ft available to him most of the time, so if you can attach an 8ftx6ft run to the crate that will give him access to more space. Or better still if you can rabbit proof a room that he can have access to then that might be easier.

We have thought about a friend for him but he is quite old and I'm not sure he would cope, he's always been an only bunny. I think I'm going to try leaving him out for short periods during the day and see if we can progress to a more free range situation. He seems to have all but stopped biting the furniture and spends most of the day in the conservatory at the moment lying in the sun. Mostly when we go out he just goes back in his cage anyway I think because that is usually where he is when we come back.
Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how we get on

Back