• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Two bunnies, two sore hocks!

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hey everyone,

Noticed last night both sherlock and navi have sores on a back leg each

Sherlock's is visibly worse and Navi's isn't bad at all, barely noticeable. Anyway. Took them to the vet this morning and vet advised neither infected and:

Sherlock; metacam 1ml twice a day and Vaseline applied to sore twice a day

Navi; just Vaseline twice a day, no medication needed

He said to put a soft towel/cushion on the plastic part of their cage where they lie too. All being done today!

Just wondering ... when I was a teenager, I had acne tablets that REALLY dried out my skin (roaccutane - amazing stuff just strong) and a friend of mine had it too, at the same time. He used Vaseline which sat on top of his lips and looked shiny and didn't seem to help keep his lips genuinely better, just when it was applied.

I used something called Clinique Superbalm. It really, really soaked into my lips and they were never dry. Could I use this on the bunny's hocks?

Might seem silly - but wanted to ask because I want to do what's best for them!

Thank you :)

Hey everyone,

Noticed last night both sherlock and navi have sores on a back leg each

Sherlock's is visibly worse and Navi's isn't bad at all, barely noticeable. Anyway. Took them to the vet this morning and vet advised neither infected and:

Sherlock; metacam 1ml twice a day and Vaseline applied to sore twice a day

Navi; just Vaseline twice a day, no medication needed

He said to put a soft towel/cushion on the plastic part of their cage where they lie too. All being done today!

Just wondering ... when I was a teenager, I had acne tablets that REALLY dried out my skin (roaccutane - amazing stuff just strong) and a friend of mine had it too, at the same time. He used Vaseline which sat on top of his lips and looked shiny and didn't seem to help keep his lips genuinely better, just when it was applied.

I used something called Clinique Superbalm. It really, really soaked into my lips and they were never dry. Could I use this on the bunny's hocks?

Might seem silly - but wanted to ask because I want to do what's best for them!

Thank you :)

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your buns!

As you know there's a lot of advice and threads about sore hocks on the Forum. I'm sure you've seen it?

http://www.vetcareltd.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.shtml

I'm sure you already know about trimming nails and keeping weight under control?

As for that cream, I can't advise as I don't know what's in it. I don't use vaseline on rabbits, and although vets recommend it, I don't use Sudocreme either!

Did your vet advise using vaseline?

...... and it's certainly not a silly question :)

Hi MightyMax,

Yep I searched last night. There has been no change in accommodation or anything, no environment change and no real weight change (in fact, both have lost a tiny bit since last weigh-in!)

Nails - I think that's what brought Sherlock's hock on I'm ashamed to say. I trim their nails myself and last time with Sherlock I got the quick, first time ever, and he hated it, bloody etc. So I gave him a rest... and the rest became longer and longer and just never did. My poor guy. That won't happen again. Navi's nails are fine... and though she is a big bunny (3.9kg, needs to be around 3.7/8kg) she's never had a problem before. She's always been that tiny bit over the 3.7/8 I think. But it could be that. Just an amazing coincidence it's seemingly happened at the same time to both.

And yup the vet suggested Vaseline. :)

Hi MightyMax,

Yep I searched last night. There has been no change in accommodation or anything, no environment change and no real weight change (in fact, both have lost a tiny bit since last weigh-in!)

Nails - I think that's what brought Sherlock's hock on I'm ashamed to say. I trim their nails myself and last time with Sherlock I got the quick, first time ever, and he hated it, bloody etc. So I gave him a rest... and the rest became longer and longer and just never did. My poor guy. That won't happen again. Navi's nails are fine... and though she is a big bunny (3.9kg, needs to be around 3.7/8kg) she's never had a problem before. She's always been that tiny bit over the 3.7/8 I think. But it could be that. Just an amazing coincidence it's seemingly happened at the same time to both.

And yup the vet suggested Vaseline. :)

Awww sorry about the nails. What a bummer! I don't know anyone who likes cutting their own rabbit's nails. The only time one of my rabbits had their nail cut to the quick was by my vet :shock: So you're in good company!

If you're happy using the vaseline, that's OK.

There's other suggestions regarding creams here:

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

Awww sorry about the nails. What a bummer! I don't know anyone who likes cutting their own rabbit's nails. The only time one of my rabbits had their nail cut to the quick was by my vet :shock: So you're in good company!

If you're happy using the vaseline, that's OK.

There's other suggestions regarding creams here:

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

Ah! That makes me feel a bit better, those quick clips are horrible.

I'll take a look at those creams and get one ordered. Will use the Vaseline today I guess... until the other comes, or if someone can confirm re: Clinique :)

One thing - and this is quite silly - the vet said 1ml, twice a day. Just want to confirm that the syringe is measured in 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 up to 0.9 then finally 1ml. A full syringe. Is that right?!

I'll take a look at those creams and get one ordered. Will use the Vaseline today I guess... until the other comes, or if someone can confirm re: Clinique :)

One thing - and this is quite silly - the vet said 1ml, twice a day. Just want to confirm that the syringe is measured in 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 up to 0.9 then finally 1ml. A full syringe. Is that right?!

If it's a one mil syringe, then the graduations are as you say ...

Looks something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terumo-TMO-syr-BLU1ml-Syringe-Box-100/dp/B002ZGVR7M

The vet gave you the syringes, right? Is this the Metacam dosage?

Yep just like that, except 0.1, 0.2 etc instead of 10, 20.

1ml (metacam dose, yes) seemed fine but it was when I went to fill it and realised it was the full syringe, I was like, woah, really? I did indeed get it off the vet today.

I'm a little rusty, it seems :)

Yep just like that, except 0.1, 0.2 etc instead of 10, 20.

1ml (metacam dose, yes) seemed fine but it was when I went to fill it and realised it was the full syringe, I was like, woah, really? I did indeed get it off the vet today.

I'm a little rusty, it seems :)

Yes I know what you mean - sometimes the graduations are 10, 20 etc.

If it's for a big rabbit, then it's probably correct :)

Is it the Dog Metacam (1.5mg/ml) you have been given or is it the Cat Metacam (0.5mg/ml) ?

So as not to confuse you, if the vet has suggested a full 1ml syringe, like the one I posted the photo of, then that's the correct dosage for your rabbit :D

Back