• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The bonding of Iddy and Russ - advice after first intro

ThePhillips

New Kit
Iddy is my existing house rabbit and Russ is new to us. Both female. Both spayed. Both rabbits moved outside into seperate hutches 5 weeks ago. Swapped litter trays, toys, then hutch about a week ago trying to get both used to each others scents. Meanwhile they've been in run's next to each other, and swapped between runs during the past 5 weeks.

This morning was the first intro. Had to use an existing run but re-sited it on the drive somewhere they've never been or scented.

In all they were together 5 mins. Russ seemed to be doing most of the activity in terms of her mounting Iddy. There was a lot of going round in circles. There was a period of Iddy letting Russ just mount her and she just stayed there. There was a little bit of head bobbing in terms of one putting their head out and the other doing the same but underneath. Russ did a lot of head mounting but I kept knocking her off. I was in there at the start, I did put them next to each other and stroked them next to each other. I then stepped out but was always next to them.

It did end with the start of a scrap - I'm beating myself up that I should have ended the sesh earlier but you just don't know do you? They are now in seperate runs next to each other. Is it too early to read anything in to this. I know two females is difficult, but I'm doing all I can to keep them exposed to one another and try and break down the territories. As it was relatively early morning should I try again early evening or leave it for today?

Any thoughts appreciated. What is the behaviour that would say no chance or is it a case of after x weeks if it keeps following the same pattern then its time to call quits, I just want a chum for Iddy :0)

Personally I'm not keen on short bonding sessions as you have to start again each time. Did you neutralise the run - you can clean scent off it by cleaning it then using vinegar and water 50/50 to neutralise it. If you can bond somewhere you can watch them 24 hrs a day you can stick at it then. I slept on the sofa when bonding my quad :lol:

Have you read the bonding sticky thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462494-Old-Useful-Topics-Bonding . the video one is very useful to watch.

A big fight with locked on circling would make me call it quits on a bond, but fur pulling, mounting and some chasing is normal, you just need to stop it escalating to circling and fighting.

Back