• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP - Baby rabbit found

Doesn't look like a wildie to me. I wouldn't put him back. Maybe someone has dumped him (and any more??)
I'd give him some water and a few pellets as well as some hay. Hopefully the rescue will get back in touch. I would've done exactly the same, wouldn't have left him there either. You've probably saved his life.

I'm glad some others have confirmed he doesn't look wildie to them either! I didn't think so either and hated to think he might be put back in the wild.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

I dashed off because the rabbit rescue lady phoned back. She said I could take him tonight so thought that was best. It was a bit of a drive so wanted to get there asap and just getting round to replying now.

She was 100% adamant he wasn't a wildie. I suggested the possibility of a wildie domestic cross but she said that the wildie gene is more dominant and they would still look almost look like a wildie. Its not just the fur but the shape of the face too. She was a bit more confident handling him than I was and she grabbed him and gave him a good look over under the light. She found multiple wounds unfortunately, nothing too bad but looks like something has had a go at him. Her hunch was a magpie or some other bird, maybe even a stoat.

Her first guess was he was about 3 weeks old but later thought he was maybe 6 but very undernourished. She was concerned as he seemed to take a turn for the worse, perhaps the drive over was too stressful in his weakened condition. We actually thought he was going to pass away there and then. Anyway she syringed some food and some water. She does have goats milk which she said she would try in the morning (think it was in the freezer). Unfortunately her experience told her he wouldn't last the night :( I had no idea, other than seeming scared he looked ok, although I was concerned about the lack of food and water. He's wrapped up in a little box inside a towel with a heat pad underneath. If he doesn't pull through at least he is warm and dry.

Anyway he is good hands. This lady has looked after rabbits of all ages, including wild ones. Some of which have been released back in to the wild. She generally doesn't rehome rabbits unless she is confident with the new owners. Her house is one giant rabbit sanctuary.

I've sponsored them in the past but it ran out and they never got in touch. Anyway I will sponsor them once again, hopefully setup yearly payments. If anyone wants to donate website is https://bunnyburrows.co.uk/

I'll phone in the morning and see how he is. Fingers crossed. I'm also paranoid there maybe more round there. With me being at a wedding tomorrow I cant go back but might try on Sunday. It's almost pointless but worth a try.

If anyone is in the area feel free to look. It's just past a village called Barningham near Richmond North Yorkshire.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d54.486353!4d-1.88324

Thanks again everyone

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

I dashed off because the rabbit rescue lady phoned back. She said I could take him tonight so thought that was best. It was a bit of a drive so wanted to get there asap and just getting round to replying now.

She was 100% adamant he wasn't a wildie. I suggested the possibility of a wildie domestic cross but she said that the wildie gene is more dominant and they would still look almost look like a wildie. Its not just the fur but the shape of the face too. She was a bit more confident handling him than I was and she grabbed him and gave him a good look over under the light. She found multiple wounds unfortunately, nothing too bad but looks like something has had a go at him. Her hunch was a magpie or some other bird, maybe even a stoat.

Her first guess was he was about 3 weeks old but later thought he was maybe 6 but very undernourished. She was concerned as he seemed to take a turn for the worse, perhaps the drive over was too stressful in his weakened condition. We actually thought he was going to pass away there and then. Anyway she syringed some food and some water. She does have goats milk which she said she would try in the morning (think it was in the freezer). Unfortunately her experience told her he wouldn't last the night :( I had no idea, other than seeming scared he looked ok, although I was concerned about the lack of food and water. He's wrapped up in a little box inside a towel with a heat pad underneath. If he doesn't pull through at least he is warm and dry.

Anyway he is good hands. This lady has looked after rabbits of all ages, including wild ones. Some of which have been released back in to the wild. She generally doesn't rehome rabbits unless she is confident with the new owners. Her house is one giant rabbit sanctuary.

I've sponsored them in the past but it ran out and they never got in touch. Anyway I will sponsor them once again, hopefully setup yearly payments. If anyone wants to donate website is https://bunnyburrows.co.uk/

I'll phone in the morning and see how he is. Fingers crossed. I'm also paranoid there maybe more round there. With me being at a wedding tomorrow I cant go back but might try on Sunday. It's almost pointless but worth a try.

If anyone is in the area feel free to look. It's just past a village called Barningham near Richmond North Yorkshire.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d54.486353!4d-1.88324

Thanks again everyone

Thank you for the update. I'm glad you took him/her to Bunny Burrows. I have the utmost respect for Gwen Butler, who I've known from years ago. We were in touch recently.

I hope you have a great time at the wedding. I had no idea you were so close to Bunny Burrows - it's the place I would've recommended you go to.

I also hope you manage to get some sleep and don't worry too much xx

Well done for helping him, you did everything you could for him :thumb: sending lots of vibes.

I'm glad the baby bunny is in safe hands, hopefully he's doing better now he's gotten some food and water syringed down him :)

You should be commended for helping, a lot of people wouldn't have bothered or would've just thought it was an unusually colored wildie and not given it a second thought!

Back