• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dustfreehay.co.uk

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I ordered some of the American Timothy from there the other day in case I run out of my usual timothyhay.co.uk and the buns are disgusted with me. They won't go anywhere near it!!!

I've got to admit that I'm not overly impressed myself. It's lovely and green and it smells nice but the strands are all quite short and choppy, not many long strands for them to get their teeth into at all. And it's expensive hay too!!!! I don't think the way that they package it helps.

I stupidly ordered 4 boxes (approx 8kg) so I don't know what to do with it now. Maybe use it as an under layer and to bulk out the existing timothyhay.co.uk stuff that we have got left. I've also ordered some Ings hay today too, the boys aren't keen but I'm hoping that it will keep Bea and Hen happy so that Sy & Hiro can have the timothy to himself. The last thing I need is for him to stop eating hay. I also ordered some Green Oat from timothyhay too.

They've got to eat one of them right?!

:lol: Spoilt buns. I thought the Ings looked & smelt lovely but my rabbits aren't keen - especially not when timothy is on offer. I've created hay snob bunnies (I only got in to fancy hay owing to temporary storage issues for my farm bales (£4 for about 15 kilo) - I bet they won't embrace its re-introduction.

I use my Ings as an under layer. I bet Hiro & Sy adore the green oat though I reckon by hook or crook Bea will be stuffing her face with it too

Luckily they all adore the Green Oat so at least we have that to feed them!
Not even Henry will eat the American Timothy and he will literally eat anything that you put in front of him.
I fear that I've created hay snobs too. Mine have pretty much had timothyhay.co.uk hay from day one as their main hay and then they get Oxbow Orchard Grass and Green Oat as a treat. I've recently started trying lots of different (cheaper!!!) treat hay alternatives but the boys never seem keen so we never reorder.
I just hope the timothyhay stuff is back in stock soon. I've got a feeling the Ings won't go down well either so it will probably all get donated to the local guinea pig rescue once back in stock!

My rabbits are definitely hay snobs. They won't eat hay out of the garden, but they will eat it as grass :)

It's a pity about the dustfreehay Timothy. When I've had any type that they won't eat I've always put it underneath the preferred hay. I've also got boxes of hay that they lie in in the shed, so it's fine to go as a base in those.

It really can only be a matter of days now before the timothyhay stuff is back in stock. The chap across the road from us cut all his fields of hay a few days ago. It's all dried and baled up now. There's obviously going to be a weather difference between here and Stirling, but I wouldn't think it could be too much.

Yes, it seems to be an important attribute of hay that it's long. I've noticed, particularly with the Green Oat Hay, it's very long. I would really love to see their fields. The grass must be so high before it's cut :love: As I've said before I would also love to see their drying technique, which keeps it so green. I've become ridiculously interested in grass/hay recently and was watching with interest that the air/sun-dried hay opposite was the same browny-green colour (like our attempts) and that with the recent high temperatures certainly dried very speedily.

Omi - maybe northern hay trumps southern hay?:lol:

:lol:

Yeah maybe it needs that cooler, damper climate :lol:

Thinking about it seriously, I would have considered previously that lots of sun=faster drying=good quality hay. But maybe not :)

Thinking about it seriously, I would have considered previously that lots of sun=faster drying=good quality hay. But maybe not :)

You've got me googling best climate for hay now :lol: Noooooooo - must do some work

You need to have cool damp conditions to grow good grass: hay is only as good as the grass it's made from :thumb:

Mine all LOVE they hay from Colehay. The Timothy is very long stranded and green - with seed heads. Not quite as green as the stuff from timothyhay but close

ive tried loads of hays with mine and their favorite is the b&m timothy with dandelion and marigold (really green) and they love the meadow hay from there too. When its been out of stock ive got the wilko timothy and they eat that too but they LOVE the herby hay. Im lucky that all my buns now are good hay eaters but pixie and daisy eat the less, they hadnt seen hay i dont think, until they came to us. I have 4 farm bales here and dont know if to use it now since the vhd.

I'm going to try Coles when I finally run out of everything I have currently got!
The Ings hay arrived today and it's going down ok. They are actually eating it! Yey! Even Hiro & Sylar are digging in and they hated it last time. Phew!

Back