• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why is she shaking?!

bunnybannanas

Mama Doe
Petra is shaking so badly. I've just picked her up and I've never felt her heart beat so fast or seen her shake so much.

I don't know whether to call the vet or see how she is in the morning.

Help! What's causing this?! Should i be worried?!

is she only shaking when you pick her up? some rabbits shake when picked up because they're nervous/scared. but if she's never done this before then that's strange that she suddenly is.

is she only shaking when you pick her up? some rabbits shake when picked up because they're nervous/scared. but if she's never done this before then that's strange that she suddenly is.

I've been holding her since an hour after she was born. She's never nervous or scared. I've never seen this before.

Yep to all 3. She could be. It is kinda hot. But it was hotter yesterday and she was ok. How can i cool her down?

She's literally lying on the floor grunting and shaking.

With rabbits you should always go with your instinct. If she doesn't seem right to you then I would contact your out of hours vet.
Do her ears feel hot? Xx

If she is still the same now (as you posted half an hour ago) and there is no obvious cause (eg something spooked her), I would phone the emergency vet and ask for advice. It could be so many things: too hot / cold, infection, stress, dehydration, breathing problems, heart issues - only a vet can diagnose. Meanwhile, keep her calm and if she needs to go in, minimise the stress of travelling as far as you can - dark carrier, minimal fuss, etc. I wouldn't leave her like that until morning without at least seeking professional advice. Usually if you think there is something wrong, there is - so act on gut feeling.

You can call your vet for advice - potentially the heat is getting to her, so in the meantime move to a colder room, provide something cool for her to lie against (cold hot water bottle, cans from the fridge) and make sure she has water.

Hope she's alright!

She seems to have calmed down a lot now. That was so weird. When she gets spooked she normally runs in and jumps on me. This time she didn't and she was in the hallway for ages which is why i went to look for her and found her lying in the corner grunting and shaking.

Her breathing is back to normal now and there are no grunts. She has just runny pooped all over my bed though [emoji849]

She seems to have calmed down a lot now. That was so weird. When she gets spooked she normally runs in and jumps on me. This time she didn't and she was in the hallway for ages which is why i went to look for her and found her lying in the corner grunting and shaking.

Her breathing is back to normal now and there are no grunts. She has just runny pooped all over my bed though [emoji849]

Sorry to come to this late.

I really hope she's OK :wave:

Are you OK too? Perhaps something spooked her?

I think I'm going to call the vet. Is it too late to call them?! She's still breathing rapidly albeit not as badly. Something's not right.

Just seen this. I do hope Petra is ok. I will be thinking of you both and sending vibes. Please let us know when you can how things are. xxxxxxxx

Can you get her checked out this morning? There's obviously something not right if she also has the runs.

She seems fine this morning and back to her normal self! She's Just sat munching on some hay and looking at me like "why have you been up most of the night?!"

Back