• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buttercup v avens?

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Argh, not only do we have avens in the lawn, we've also got buttercups! Spent 15mins today clearing the lot out as I wasn't sure which is which. We've got both sprouting in the raised bed so nothing's lost ;P

Now, one's got hairy/hoary, roundy leaves, and one's got smooth but not quite shiny, pointy leaves. Any ideas which is which? Googling pictures just gives me pictures of flowers! :evil: Both have had small-petalled flowers but one had a good robust flower so I suspect that's the buttercup.

FYI, bunnies haven't touched either :lol:

Crikey, I'd never considered that they were similar, but looking at photos online you're right they are :)

There are different types of Buttercup and the leaves vary. I would say that Buttercup flowers are shinier than Avens. This photo is fairly typical of what Avens leaves look like http://www.jnecology.com/debsweb/dicots/geum-urbanum-6.html

It's easy to identify Avens once the flowers have died, because they develop into hard fruits with burrs.

I wouldn't have described either as having pointy leaves :?

On a slightly related topic - I almost destroyed all my silverweed that I'm growing for the buns. It's among some lamium, and it was flowering. Looks just like buttercup flowers!

I pulled it up without realising it was still the silverweed. Odd that those little yellow flowers should be so ubiquitous :lol:

It's easy to identify Avens once the flowers have died, because they develop into hard fruits with burrs.
Small-flowered buttercup seed head:

14873873385_9180c271ea_o.jpg

Which has these flowers:

7262524020_f1c269fe71_o.jpg

ARGH!!!!! :lol:

I wouldn't have described either as having pointy leaves :?
Looks like it might be creeping buttercup:

ranre0617w.jpg

My 'Avens' leaves:

Avens%202%20350.jpg

So less pointy, more roundy than the above. Flowers almost identical to small-flowered buttercup, which has the almost-identical burrs:

Avens%201%20350.jpg

ARGH!!!! :lol::lol:

Odd that those little yellow flowers should be so ubiquitous :lol:
Convergent evolution :thumb:

Back