Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gradual hindlimb paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Elliegirl View Post
    His xrays were immaculate I saw them and 2 vets and none of us could see anything (I'm a VN of many years). They did every angle and the whole rabbit. He's in a 6x2 hutch but also has daily exercise in a double size stable.

Patch is 4-5 years old.

I've seen lots of cases of arthritis but not in rabbits, he can be off his hind legs completely and dragging his back end now and it just doesn't look like arthritis, that doesn't usually loss of the whole back end so they are dragging their back legs except when very extreme in dogs. Also it is progressing far more rapidly than any arthritis I've ever seen. He's gone from a slightly wonky left leg to both legs wonky and yesterday morning he was off his backend tho pnce hos loxicam kicked I he was mobile if very wonky this is in a matter of 3-4 weeks.TBH I've discounted arthritis, if he had it badly enough to show these symptoms his xrays should be appalling..... I'm mopre inclined to think muscle/nerve damage as this would not show on Xrays.

TY for all your thought and links, I've got some panacur coming so I can give hime the 28 day course to be sure too xx

I'm sure you know much more about this than we do - and I agree, it would've shown on the X-rays. He sounds to be in very good hands with you

Would you expect muscle damage to begin to repair itself, even slightly and slowly, with rest? Nerve damage repair is harder, I agree, though not completely impossible.

If he's losing muscle mass, the vet could consider an anabolic steroid? This, as you know, isn't the same as a corticosteroid, but it does help to build up muscle mass and I wonder if it would address any issue with muscle damage?

Hi Just top say EC hind leg loss can be gradual and over weeks end up as complete loss - BUT my experience is that they can get better albeit very very gradually. Our bun had complete loss and it has taken 4 months to come back - but he can now hop again (though he does wobble a bit!)
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

HI Tracy

How are things with you and your rabbit?

Awww MM TY or asking

The co-ordinator has insisted on taking him and his wife back to hers, he was doing so well here and always seemed to have a better day when he's been able to get out and about and keep moving. Sadly this lady has STOPPED his panacur course I'd started, restricted his exercise (she has more rabbits and less space than me = less exercise) and is not keen to talk to the vet that has been treating him but wants to take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion (a vet I wouldn't trust with a flea, after all she missed a doe being so heavily pregnant she gave birth 3 days after her myxi vacc!!!!!) Sadly my hands are tied, she's the co-ordinator I'm just a fosterer with years and years of experience in nursing animals........he's hanging in there and not getting any worse though he has his off legs bad days and the next day is upright again. I have no idea where this is going and am watching from a distance. Watch this space xx
    Tracy and my many. many pets including Pumpkin Bunny and his wife Bella.

I foster rabbits for the RSPCA and own/run a cattery and small animal boarding business

http://fondbriggcottagecattery.co.uk/ where every guest is treated as my own all the time they're here xx

Awww MM TY or asking

The co-ordinator has insisted on taking him and his wife back to hers, he was doing so well here and always seemed to have a better day when he's been able to get out and about and keep moving. Sadly this lady has STOPPED his panacur course I'd started, restricted his exercise (she has more rabbits and less space than me = less exercise) and is not keen to talk to the vet that has been treating him but wants to take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion (a vet I wouldn't trust with a flea, after all she missed a doe being so heavily pregnant she gave birth 3 days after her myxi vacc!!!!!) Sadly my hands are tied, she's the co-ordinator I'm just a fosterer with years and years of experience in nursing animals........he's hanging in there and not getting any worse though he has his off legs bad days and the next day is upright again. I have no idea where this is going and am watching from a distance. Watch this space xx

Goodness this must be heart-breaking for you

I'm sorry, your hands are tied. I've been in your shoes and it's so frustrating and sad. I really hope there's a good resolution to it all x

Awww MM TY or asking

Oh dear, you must feel dreadfully upset I do hope that there can still be a good outcome for the poor little fella. You have obviously done everything within your power to try to help him xx