• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gradual hindlimb paralysis

Elliegirl

Young Bun
I have a foster rabbit who is under veterinary care currently. About 4 weeks ago I noticed he wasn't using his left hind normally. I took him to the vet who prescribed loxicam. Over the next 10 days Patch made huge improvements and appeared to be back to normal so on veterinary advice we stopped his loxocam. Within 36 hours he was showing the start of the original symptoms again and was pot back on loxicam. He has had xrays which show nothing abnormal and he was prescribed a further 3 weeks of loxicam, watch and see. I was assured he would be fine to continue his usual exercise routine. He has never got back to how good he was when he originally stopped his loxicam.Over the last 2 weeks there has been a very gradual worsening of symptoms and his right leg started showing the same signs. On Tuesday he was really bad when I let him oout and he was hopping on his knuckles rather than his feet. This morning he was struggling to get up on his hind legs at all.

The symptoms seem to ease slightly as he gets moving after a night in the hutch and exercise doesn't seem to affect it in any other way. His front end is as happy as ever, he has full bladder control although he no longer uses his tray (?access) and he is eating and drinking as normal. Only 2 slightly ucky bottoms so far but think it's where he is urinating but can't raise himself out of it and therefore gets it on himself.

Just interested to hear from people who have experience of this or any thoughts. Sadly it appears we have to keep him comfortable, happy and spoilt until his hind end fails when we have to call it a day :(

Thanks

Tracy

I have a foster rabbit who is under veterinary care currently. About 4 weeks ago I noticed he wasn't using his left hind normally. I took him to the vet who prescribed loxicam. Over the next 10 days Patch made huge improvements and appeared to be back to normal so on veterinary advice we stopped his loxocam. Within 36 hours he was showing the start of the original symptoms again and was pot back on loxicam. He has had xrays which show nothing abnormal and he was prescribed a further 3 weeks of loxicam, watch and see. I was assured he would be fine to continue his usual exercise routine. He has never got back to how good he was when he originally stopped his loxicam.Over the last 2 weeks there has been a very gradual worsening of symptoms and his right leg started showing the same signs. On Tuesday he was really bad when I let him oout and he was hopping on his knuckles rather than his feet. This morning he was struggling to get up on his hind legs at all.

The symptoms seem to ease slightly as he gets moving after a night in the hutch and exercise doesn't seem to affect it in any other way. His front end is as happy as ever, he has full bladder control although he no longer uses his tray (?access) and he is eating and drinking as normal. Only 2 slightly ucky bottoms so far but think it's where he is urinating but can't raise himself out of it and therefore gets it on himself.

Just interested to hear from people who have experience of this or any thoughts. Sadly it appears we have to keep him comfortable, happy and spoilt until his hind end fails when we have to call it a day :(

Thanks

Tracy

Sorry this will be a brief reply. Has your Vet ruled out a neurological cause for the hind leg paresis ? ie Enceplalitizoon Cuniculi (EC)

These links may be useful to take a look at

http://www.vetfolio.com/parasitology/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/

Thanks

Tracy

Hi Tracy

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. Hind limb weakness is a really difficult one to diagnose, as there could be several causes. It seems you may have eliminated spinal injury?

has your vet mentioned the possibility of encephalitozoon cuniculi (E.C.) ? For that it would be a good idea to consider a 28 day course of fenbendazole (Panacur). Having the Loxicom is a very good idea, as that will minimise any inflammation.

There may be some useful info in these links, which I have found helpful in the past:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/paralysis.html

http://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

Good luck with your rabbit xx

Thanks guys for the thoughts, he is wormed 3 times a year with panacur, his last course was April so EC has been ruled out. The vet thinks its degenerative nerve issues. I will away and read those links.....

Tracy xx

Thanks guys for the thoughts, he is wormed 3 times a year with panacur, his last course was April so EC has been ruled out. The vet thinks its degenerative nerve issues. I will away and read those links.....

Tracy xx

Hi Tracy

Worming with Panacur is usually a 9 day course. This does not interrupt the life cycle of the parasite E.C. It simply kills any intestinal worms present. If a course of 28 days Panacur has never been given, then E.C. cannot be ruled out.

Why would the vet think that your rabbit has degenerative nerve issues?

He has had thorough xrays and absolutely nothing showed, without a large amount of expense and contrast studies that's as far as that can go (rescues just can't fund more). I think it's the fact that nothing is stopping the gradual but continual decline, but what I find interesting is that he worsens in the hutch overnight and when I first let him out he's really not good but he then loosens up and he improves by a small amount. Of course I can only go by the vets instructions but I will check with the rescue to see what his panacur regiment was like before he came to me.....

He has had thorough xrays and absolutely nothing showed, without a large amount of expense and contrast studies that's as far as that can go (rescues just can't fund more). I think it's the fact that nothing is stopping the gradual but continual decline, but what I find interesting is that he worsens in the hutch overnight and when I first let him out he's really not good but he then loosens up and he improves by a small amount. Of course I can only go by the vets instructions but I will check with the rescue to see what his panacur regiment was like before he came to me.....

How old is Patch?

From what you've said above, it sounds more like arthritis. That would mean he starts off being stiff, not having been able to hop around too much in the hutch, and then the joints loosen up.

The withdrawal and the symptoms when he wasn't on loxicom would also indicate that ...

His xrays were immaculate I saw them and 2 vets and none of us could see anything (I'm a VN of many years). They did every angle and the whole rabbit. He's in a 6x2 hutch but also has daily exercise in a double size stable.

Patch is 4-5 years old.

I've seen lots of cases of arthritis but not in rabbits, he can be off his hind legs completely and dragging his back end now and it just doesn't look like arthritis, that doesn't usually loss of the whole back end so they are dragging their back legs except when very extreme in dogs. Also it is progressing far more rapidly than any arthritis I've ever seen. He's gone from a slightly wonky left leg to both legs wonky and yesterday morning he was off his backend tho pnce hos loxicam kicked I he was mobile if very wonky this is in a matter of 3-4 weeks.TBH I've discounted arthritis, if he had it badly enough to show these symptoms his xrays should be appalling..... I'm mopre inclined to think muscle/nerve damage as this would not show on Xrays.

TY for all your thought and links, I've got some panacur coming so I can give hime the 28 day course to be sure too xx

His xrays were immaculate I saw them and 2 vets and none of us could see anything (I'm a VN of many years). They did every angle and the whole rabbit. He's in a 6x2 hutch but also has daily exercise in a double size stable.

Patch is 4-5 years old.

I've seen lots of cases of arthritis but not in rabbits, he can be off his hind legs completely and dragging his back end now and it just doesn't look like arthritis, that doesn't usually loss of the whole back end so they are dragging their back legs except when very extreme in dogs. Also it is progressing far more rapidly than any arthritis I've ever seen. He's gone from a slightly wonky left leg to both legs wonky and yesterday morning he was off his backend tho pnce hos loxicam kicked I he was mobile if very wonky this is in a matter of 3-4 weeks.TBH I've discounted arthritis, if he had it badly enough to show these symptoms his xrays should be appalling..... I'm mopre inclined to think muscle/nerve damage as this would not show on Xrays.

TY for all your thought and links, I've got some panacur coming so I can give hime the 28 day course to be sure too xx

It sounds as though the little fella is in very experienced hands with you. I guess an CT scan would be one possibility, but I totally understand how financial constraints can impact on what diagnostics are possible.I am wondering if the Vet might consider risking giving a corticosteroid in this situation ? Whilst the use of corticosteroids in Rabbits is not generally advisable (Rabbits being very sensitive to the potential side effects-ie a negative impact on the immune system, gastric ulceration, liver damage ),there are certain exceptional situations whereby the risk is one worth taking. They can provide more significant anti-inflammatory properties than a NSAID and thus be useful if the paralysis is due to nerve damage/inflammation.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Dexamethasone.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Prednisolone.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...age&q=corticosteroid paralysed rabbit&f=false

Perhaps you could discuss this with your Vet ?

Last edited:

Patch is 4-5 years old.

I'm sure you know much more about this than we do - and I agree, it would've shown on the X-rays. He sounds to be in very good hands with you :)

Would you expect muscle damage to begin to repair itself, even slightly and slowly, with rest? Nerve damage repair is harder, I agree, though not completely impossible.

If he's losing muscle mass, the vet could consider an anabolic steroid? This, as you know, isn't the same as a corticosteroid, but it does help to build up muscle mass and I wonder if it would address any issue with muscle damage?

Hi Just top say EC hind leg loss can be gradual and over weeks end up as complete loss - BUT my experience is that they can get better albeit very very gradually. Our bun had complete loss and it has taken 4 months to come back - but he can now hop again (though he does wobble a bit!)

Awww MM TY or asking :)

The co-ordinator has insisted on taking him and his wife back to hers, he was doing so well here and always seemed to have a better day when he's been able to get out and about and keep moving. Sadly this lady has STOPPED his panacur course I'd started, restricted his exercise (she has more rabbits and less space than me = less exercise) and is not keen to talk to the vet that has been treating him but wants to take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion (a vet I wouldn't trust with a flea, after all she missed a doe being so heavily pregnant she gave birth 3 days after her myxi vacc!!!!!) Sadly my hands are tied, she's the co-ordinator I'm just a fosterer with years and years of experience in nursing animals........he's hanging in there and not getting any worse though he has his off legs bad days and the next day is upright again. I have no idea where this is going and am watching from a distance. Watch this space xx

The co-ordinator has insisted on taking him and his wife back to hers, he was doing so well here and always seemed to have a better day when he's been able to get out and about and keep moving. Sadly this lady has STOPPED his panacur course I'd started, restricted his exercise (she has more rabbits and less space than me = less exercise) and is not keen to talk to the vet that has been treating him but wants to take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion (a vet I wouldn't trust with a flea, after all she missed a doe being so heavily pregnant she gave birth 3 days after her myxi vacc!!!!!) Sadly my hands are tied, she's the co-ordinator I'm just a fosterer with years and years of experience in nursing animals........he's hanging in there and not getting any worse though he has his off legs bad days and the next day is upright again. I have no idea where this is going and am watching from a distance. Watch this space xx

Goodness this must be heart-breaking for you :(

I'm sorry, your hands are tied. I've been in your shoes and it's so frustrating and sad. I really hope there's a good resolution to it all x

Oh dear, you must feel dreadfully upset :cry: I do hope that there can still be a good outcome for the poor little fella. You have obviously done everything within your power to try to help him xx

Back