• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clicker/"go to place" training

naohren

Young Bun
Have any of you clicker trained or trained your rabbits to go to a particular place/sit on a cushion, mat, etc.? Just out of pure curiosity. Why did you train them to do it, and how did they respond?

We use a 'go to bed' command regularly. For example, the big runs are in different parts of the garden to where they stay at night, or the rabbits may be free ranging in sections of the garden. They soon get used to what you mean by 'go to bed' and it is a matter of standard training - ie keep repeating the phrase as they do what you are asking them to do. It helps that there are the daily pellet rations waiting in the allotted 'bed' area. We have had rabbits go into various rooms, upstairs, into hutches and into carriers (eg. to take them across the garden) using the same phrase. We do come a bit unstuck when the area for 'bed' changes. Rabbits do remember perfectly well what is expected of them - although they sometimes have a bit of a diversion en route.

Ah, mine know just about when bedtime is - that is, when it gets dark outside. I accidentally taught them a similar command, but it only works at bedtime and if they know I have their dinner ;0

Our rabbits are trained to come for food by us saying "sup sup sup" :) Their accommodation is a large shed with attached outside areas. I give them a lot of forage and put it in a certain place outside. Even if they are in the shed, when they hear "sup sup sup", all three come zooming out through the cat flap to find it :)

Our little furballs have learnt the sound of pellets. If you move the bag, or the scales that we weigh them in. They come running from wherever they are. Start circling your feet and then will follow the bowl anywhere! Normally it's back into their pen for bedtime. Although we have noticed if we leave them out for longer they now are so used to routine they put themself to bed.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It seems a lot of our rabbits have connected the sound of pellets to dinner time! But that's an example of Pavlov's classical conditioning. If an animal shows these behaviours it can be taught to do certain things before getting food. In this way, a rabbit's intelligent mind is similar to a dog's - they are very smart indeed! Sometimes we learn how smart they are the hard way, haha.

It seems a lot of our rabbits have connected the sound of pellets to dinner time! But that's an example of Pavlov's classical conditioning. If an animal shows these behaviours it can be taught to do certain things before getting food. In this way, a rabbit's intelligent mind is similar to a dog's - they are very smart indeed! Sometimes we learn how smart they are the hard way, haha.
Yep. My other half didn't really how smart they were. He thought they were always starving! He has now realised they have learnt to sit by their empty bowl with their little feet on the edge when he walks in. Oh if they are especially clever they lick the empty bowl. Haha. It's very cute but doesn't fool me. ;-)

Our little furballs have learnt the sound of pellets. If you move the bag, or the scales that we weigh them in. They come running from wherever they are. Start circling your feet and then will follow the bowl anywhere! Normally it's back into their pen for bedtime. Although we have noticed if we leave them out for longer they now are so used to routine they put themself to bed.

Monty isn't nearly so well-mannered! He also knows the sound of pellets and comes running, but as soon as he can reach them, he wrenches them from your hand and carries them off to where only he can reach them. He also refuses to be trained in anything, so I'll be interested to see if clicker training has worked for anyone.

It's the other way round here. My bunnies have successfully carried out the "go to place" training on me. When they want me to go to the kitchen to get them food they just have to give me the "look". And just to reinforce the training, if I don't respond within 0.00001 seconds I get my feet and ankles nipped. Sloppy service is not tolerated here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our little furballs have learnt the sound of pellets. If you move the bag, or the scales that we weigh them in. They come running from wherever they are. Start circling your feet and then will follow the bowl anywhere!

Yeah, that.

Funny is, when they are in a group, they first start circling themself, like a flock of birds, thinking one of the others has the treats already. Anyway, the best way to get them back into their hutch after garden time.
Defenitly need to watch my step.

Back