• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unsure of Vaccination Status? And also unsure of breed?

Hi all,
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to rabbits, my brother had one as a kid but beyond that I don't know anything.

Although I have 5 guinea pigs. And 2 hamsters so im pretty used to small pets.

About a year ago me and my partner decided we would like to adopt some rabbits, and set out looking to adopt, we found three rabbits to be adopted pretty close to us and basically fell in love.

The first thing I noticed when we went to pick up these rabbits is two of them are much bigger then they looked in the photo we saw, I'm not sure if they're giant or continental but they're very big. But never the less we baught them home.
So we have two girls and a boy, we've named them Floppsy, Flick and Thumper.

The old owner told us he used to be a breeder and he was giving it up and wanted to find new homes for his rabbits,
He also told us Floppsy and Thumper are brother and sister. And he is Neutered.

Beyond that he didn't tell us anything about they're history, and looking back I should have pressed for more information but to be honest I was a bit caught up in the moment and the things I wanted to know just flew ot of my head.

So we had a hutch and run special made by this small time hutch maker who felt that store baught hutches arnt up to scratch for rabbits needs, he was very nice and cared a lot about rabbits, so they're got a massive hutch, Atleast 6 foot long and a run attached they can access all day.

Now i researched about rabbits before we got them so I don't know how I missed it but I wasn't aware when we got them that rabbits need vaccinations.
I only found out recently that they need yearly boosters and such.

So im in a difficult situation because I don't know if our rabbits have ever been vaccinated, and I haven't had them given boosters since I got them last year because I didn't know about it, (which is my fault)
I can't get in contact with the old owner because I don't have any details anymore.

So what do I do?

If they haven't had any then they need that first vaccination but if they have then they've missed a year of boosters?

So I can't give the vet any infomation on them
Like when they had they're last booster, ect.

Because they've missed that booster do they need to be vaccinated again?
Or would that be dangerous?

When I told my mum about it her reaction was just 'oh, well ive never had rabbits vaccinated in the past and it's been fine'
Which just makes me feel worse.

Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:
The booster vaccination is the same as the initial one so no worries on that score. It is just a repeat annually. You have probably discovered they need 2 vaccinations. I would just start ASAP with one vaccination and then get the other done ASAP (not sooner than two weeks) later. Previous vaccination status is not important. I would bet if you weren't told about their vaccination status they haven't been done by previous owner.

Hi all,
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to rabbits, my brother had one as a kid but beyond that I don't know anything.

Although I have 5 guinea pigs. And 2 hamsters so im pretty used to small pets.

About a year ago me and my partner decided we would like to adopt some rabbits, and set out looking to adopt, we found three rabbits to be adopted pretty close to us and basically fell in love.

The first thing I noticed when we went to pick up these rabbits is two of them are much bigger then they looked in the photo we saw, I'm not sure if they're giant or continental but they're very big. But never the less we baught them home.
So we have two girls and a boy, we've named them Floppsy, Flick and Thumper.

The old owner told us he used to be a breeder and he was giving it up and wanted to find new homes for his rabbits,
He also told us Floppsy and Thumper are brother and sister. And he is Neutered.

Beyond that he didn't tell us anything about they're history, and looking back I should have pressed for more information but to be honest I was a bit caught up in the moment and the things I wanted to know just flew ot of my head.

So we had a hutch and run special made by this small time hutch maker who felt that store baught hutches arnt up to scratch for rabbits needs, he was very nice and cared a lot about rabbits, so they're got a massive hutch, Atleast 6 foot long and a run attached they can access all day.

Now i researched about rabbits before we got them so I don't know how I missed it but I wasn't aware when we got them that rabbits need vaccinations.
I only found out recently that they need yearly boosters and such.

So im in a difficult situation because I don't know if our rabbits have ever been vaccinated, and I haven't had them given boosters since I got them last year because I didn't know about it, (which is my fault)
I can't get in contact with the old owner because I don't have any details anymore.

So what do I do?

If they haven't had any then they need that first vaccination but if they have then they've missed a year of boosters?

So I can't give the vet any infomation on them
Like when they had they're last booster, ect.

Because they've missed that booster do they need to be vaccinated again?
Or would that be dangerous?

When I told my mum about it her reaction was just 'oh, well ive never had rabbits vaccinated in the past and it's been fine'
Which just makes me feel worse.

Any advice is welcome.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Vaccinations, as you are aware, are very important!

If you choose to have the Novibac/Myxo combi vaccine, then you should wait *three weeks* before having the other vaccination. It takes three weeks for immunity to build up with this one, and inadvisable to have the RHD2 vaccination any earlier.

The other vaccination is for RHD2

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-10th-June-2017
(start from the end and work backwards for info!)

If you have this done first - and many vets aren't aware that it's now available in the UK so no need for a special import licence, then it's only *one week* to wait for full immunity. So the Novibac vaccination can be given a week later.

I hope all that makes sense :D

Hi and welcome to the forum :) Do you know how old your rabbits are? It sounds as though they have found themselves a lovely home.

I'm glad that you will be taking them to the vet for their vaccinations. You have mentioned that your buck is neutered, but I'm not sure whether you are also aware that does should be spayed even when their bonded partners are neutered for health reasons, in particular to prevent them developing uterine tumours. If your does are not spayed, perhaps you could discuss this with your vet.

You're doing absolutely the right thing to want to get them vaccinated :) As someone who rescues, rabbits often come in with no previous history and no clues as to whether they have previously been vaccinated. Chances are they aren't, so I always just get them vaccinated and vets generally always happy to do this. As you've had these guys a little while, even if they have been vaccinated previously it will just 'top it up'. A rabbit's annual booster vaccine is exactly the same as its first vaccine so you don't have to worry about the issues of first and booster vaccines like you do with cats and dogs, it's just exactly the same thing every year :)

Most vets will do the nobivac vaccine first, this covers your bunnies against myxomatosis and RHD1, and then 2-3 weeks later will do the filavac. There has been a nobivac shortage recently though so they may do it the other way round while they're waiting for new stock to come in. Not all vets offer filavac yet either, but I would definitely advise you to get this done too as there are outbreaks occurring all over the UK :(

Best wishes for you and your bunnies <3

If you have this done first - and many vets aren't aware that it's now available in the UK so no need for a special import licence, then it's only *one week* to wait for full immunity. So the Novibac vaccination can be given a week later.

Just to confuse things further - it's true that filavac only takes 7 days to develop immunity, but standard immunological protocol for products that have not been tested together is to leave a 2 week gap between them. The minimum 2 week rule is what vets should follow unless there are specific reasons that their clinical judgement suggests otherwise.

You're doing absolutely the right thing to want to get them vaccinated :) As someone who rescues, rabbits often come in with no previous history and no clues as to whether they have previously been vaccinated. Chances are they aren't, so I always just get them vaccinated and vets generally always happy to do this. As you've had these guys a little while, even if they have been vaccinated previously it will just 'top it up'. A rabbit's annual booster vaccine is exactly the same as its first vaccine so you don't have to worry about the issues of first and booster vaccines like you do with cats and dogs, it's just exactly the same thing every year :)

Most vets will do the nobivac vaccine first, this covers your bunnies against myxomatosis and RHD1, and then 2-3 weeks later will do the filavac. There has been a nobivac shortage recently though so they may do it the other way round while they're waiting for new stock to come in. Not all vets offer filavac yet either, but I would definitely advise you to get this done too as there are outbreaks occurring all over the UK :(

Best wishes for you and your bunnies <3

Just to confuse things further - it's true that filavac only takes 7 days to develop immunity, but standard immunological protocol for products that have not been tested together is to leave a 2 week gap between them. The minimum 2 week rule is what vets should follow unless there are specific reasons that their clinical judgement suggests otherwise.

Thank you Santa :thumb:

I would definitely get your little girlie spayed, I think the statistics of a doe getting cancer of the uterus is about 80%.

Good luck with your gorgeous rabbits. Maybe we could see some photos :)

Hi guys,
This is a lot of great information, Thanks for all this :)

How should i go about getting them into the vets, All in the same day? Or doesnt it matter too much if they get it on different days.
I know Thumper is Neutered but im not sure on the girls status, Would the vet be able to easily tell?

Do you know a general price range that getting the vaccines would cost, Im just very aware that i need to pay up front at my vets, and it would be helpful to know how much the cost would be rather then find out i dont have enough on the day!
I know all vets are different but a price range would be helpful so i can plan when i have enough.
I know how much a small pet consultation is at my vets, (when i took my guinea pig in)
Would a rabbit fall under small pet or not do you think?

Last question,
My rabbits are a bit unsure of our carry case, Ive been trying to get them used to it recently in case of vet visits, But they just wont go in, no matter what, Not for treats or anything, Any idea how we can get them to go in for the vets??
When we moved in we put them in a large indoor cage for travelling because it was the only thing they would willing go into but thats not really ideal for a vet trip? :(

I cant seem to figure out how to add photos?

Hi guys,

How should i go about getting them into the vets, All in the same day? Or doesnt it matter too much if they get it on different days.
I know Thumper is Neutered but im not sure on the girls status, Would the vet be able to easily tell?

Do you know a general price range that getting the vaccines would cost, Im just very aware that i need to pay up front at my vets, and it would be helpful to know how much the cost would be rather then find out i dont have enough on the day!
I know all vets are different but a price range would be helpful so i can plan when i have enough.
I know how much a small pet consultation is at my vets, (when i took my guinea pig in)

Last question,
My rabbits are a bit unsure of our carry case, Ive been trying to get them used to it recently in case of vet visits, But they just wont go in, no matter what, Not for treats or anything, Any idea how we can get them to go in for the vets??
When we moved in we put them in a large indoor cage for travelling because it was the only thing they would willing go into but thats not really ideal for a vet trip? :(

Hi :) Vaccination costs vary greatly, my vet charges £25 for the Nobivac combination vaccine (myxi + VHD1) and another £25 for the Filavac VHD2 vaccine which is definitely towards the cheaper end. If your vet has not heard of the separate VHD2 vaccine then personally I would not use that vet. Some places charge up to £40 per vaccination! I do think it's best to take them all at once, they'll have each other for comfort, plus if you only take one at a time you might risk the bond breaking. Again with the consultation fee it varies, my vet have a dog fee, cat/rabbit fee and then a fee for smaller/other pets but I think a lot of places class rabbits as small/other pets.

With the carrier I would leave it in their cage/run and always leave their food in there, they'll go in eventually. If it's second hand or been used for another animal you might want to disinfect it in case it smells like cat/dog to them.

For photo's you need to upload them somewhere else first like photobucket, get the link (usually ends in .jpeg or .png) and then when you make a post click on the little square button with a tree and it'll let you put the url link in. If that doesn't work just type the link and we will be able to see. Do their ears seem very large? If so they probably are giants :)

No, it is not easy to tell. A vet could look for a scar, which would be one indication. Other than that it would need to be a scan. If the previous owner was a breeder, then I would suggest it's unlikely that the girls were spayed.

I hope you manage to find a vet you are happy with.

Hi guys,

Last question,

I should go along to the vet and talk to him about it. In Rescue, when we aren't sure whether female rabbits are spayed, the vet will usually shave them to see whether there are any tell tale signs of a previous scar. The other thing is an ultrasound, but this could be quite expensive.

As Omi says, being ex breeder rabbits they are unlikely to have been spayed.

Regarding paying for vet's fees, I should try and get the vaccinations done asap, as it's summer time when mozzies are spreading myxi. Also VHD2 is becoming more of a worry. Perhaps you could ask your vet about a payment plan, or if you qualify, there are various charities who will support you with this.

Regarding posting photos:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Back