• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flaky dry skin on back of the ears

Linuxete

Warren Scout
Hello. My 9 month old lionhead rabbit devoloped flaky dry skin on the back of his both ears about a week and 2 days ago. His fur is not so dense in affected areas, also some fur fell out, looks like little tufts of fur with white skin flakes underneath when they fall. He scrathes his ears and shakes them. No other areas seems to be flaky and itchy, just the back of his ears, inside of the ears are clean. Otherwise he's happy and acts normal. I took him to the vet and he said it's probably fur mites, so he gave him selamectin. Bunny's weight is 1,5 kg, so he gave him half the kitten and puppy dosage, 7,5 mg I think. I should give him the second dosage after two weeks of the first one. It's been 5 days now, but nothing really changed, he's still scratching his ears, but they're not getting any worse. How long before selamectin starts to work on these mites? Maybe the given dosage was not enough for him? Really hope for some of your advices on this. Thanks in advance.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Hello. My 9 month old lionhead rabbit devoloped flaky dry skin on the back of his both ears about a week and 2 days ago. His fur is not so dense in affected areas, also some fur fell out, looks like little tufts of fur with white skin flakes underneath when they fall. He scrathes his ears and shakes them. No other areas seems to be flaky and itchy, just the back of his ears, inside of the ears are clean. Otherwise he's happy and acts normal. I took him to the vet and he said it's probably fur mites, so he gave him selamectin. Bunny's weight is 1,5 kg, so he gave him half the kitten and puppy dosage, 7,5 mg I think. I should give him the second dosage after two weeks of the first one. It's been 5 days now, but nothing really changed, he's still scratching his ears, but they're not getting any worse. How long before selamectin starts to work on these mites? Maybe the given dosage was not enough for him? Really hope for some of your advices on this. Thanks in advance.

The selamectin wont work immediately, the life cycle of ear mites is 21 days. Sometimes a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Meloxicam is also required to address the inflammation/itching that a mite infestation causes.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Psoroptes_Inf.htm

http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Selamectin.htm

Hi there :)

You should start to see an improvement within 10 days. It doesn't sound like ear mites, just the regular fur mites:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Ivermectin is the usual drug of choice in the UK, but Selamectin has also had good reports.

I am sure the mites will go, just give them time. Their life cycle of 21 days means you need both doses to catch them all:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/cheyletiella-mites-population-move

Our vet also said it's fur mites. Seems to look less flaky, he's not scratching a lot. Hope he's going to be mites free soon. Thanks for your kind replies.

Back