Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjie le bun bun

Warren Veteran

Default Benjie le bun bun

Benjie came to me on Jan 18th. He was found trying to cross a busy dual carriageway in rush hour, in the dark & was jet black. No one claimed him, so I took him in. it wasn't just simple snuffles, he had pasteurellosis with 2 abcesses. Even the vet's face fell. She doubted he'd get through his 1st year. I've lost track of time but think he's now nearly 6.

A totally different temperament from Thumper, Benjie was scared of everything & tended to stay in his artificial warren but he was the most amazingly affectionate furry friend I have ever had. He would even leave eating to come over for a stroke. We were heavily into allogrooming! As I gave him nose rubs lying on the floor, he'd rest his face on my cheek & give me nose licks.
    Before he'd worked out that hands legs & head were all me & my fur was removable, I had to stop wearing my ancient wooly jumper, because he'd carefully "groom out the bobbles" giving me a look as if to say "Don't you ever groom? Your coat is disgraceful."

He's mainly known for nearly getting me admitted to geriatric hospital when he went severely hormonal very quickly. I have no idea how bucks can produce so much urine on demand. Yep he peed my bed & after 2 days all my downie covers & sheets were in the wash slow to dry in Feb/March. So the nurse visits me. Looks down the garden & after considerable effort to find the words said "Do you have wee wee problems?" Innocently I just said "Nope" wondering what had occasioned the question, followed her gaze & saw the full washing line. "Oh it's my rabbit!" Nurse gave me THAT look which basically says "pull the other one".

Benjie did really well with the snuffles & just had regular bisolvon for the last 3 years. Life was unkind to him because last autumn he got thrombocytopaenia (A bit of a shock) weight loss incredibly nervous, dysbiosis & GI slow down - abdominal pain with "cradling" which gave him minor hock sores, then relapse of snuffles with tear duct blocked with the infection. Benjie's snoring got worse so he'd wake himself up with it, started sleeping with his chin on the ground & got a "hock sore on his chin". He had 2 courses of injectable ABx over winter (tetracycline family) He'd had a longstanding skin condition which waxed & waned - identical to human piliform acathoma except it made bigger plaques.

Following on from the last thread about forage & unusual behaviours. We got his GI tract under control, pain free - with dill leaves & during winter weeping willow twigs until the leaves came into bud +broad leaf & ribwort plantain. He actually regained weight. His chin & hocks healed. Tear duct unblocked (needed help with ABx eye ointment the last time. Changed to dill, thyme, hawthorn & dandelions in spring, but were starting to lose the battle with weight. Poor little fella couldn't get enough nutrient in - cut back on woody fibre, & latterly cut back on dandelions because they're diuretic & he was filling himself up with water. So his poohs were small & black but well formed & no uneaten caecals. He needed about 3/4 carrierbagful of forage per day & for the last month mainly yarrow which has only just appeared. There are a few reasons why it might help his skin.

Then his skin condition went crazy a large hard plaque under his left eye & upper eyelid, on his muzzle, & lips but he seemed to be eating OK despite it. Finally the lumps invaded his right nostril,which I had to clear of discharge with gentle massage. The discharge was surprisingly clear. Obviously his nose "bubbled" a bit as he breathed but he wasn't in "respiratory distress". By 2 weeks ago he was painfully thin having lost 700 Gm, his coat was magnificent, silky soft & glossy & he was into allogrooming me as always, as well as hopping round the house. The only reliable treatment for his skin condition was surgical removal which wasn't practicable.

At some time between Sat midday & Sun. midday the council mowed every verge & bridleway on both sides in the area. I had to drive about 50 miles down all the lanes just to get enough food for 24 hours & there was none left. I couldn't feed him. So we had a mammoth allogrooming all day, & he fell asleep at the vets last evening.
    He was much braver than I was - I've never known him so calm.
    I didn't ask for a pm. Some frown at me for keeping single buns but there have been good health reasons for both. Instead I learned the rabbit behaviour needed from partner buns & provided it to the best of my ability - I assure you it gives a very close relationship. Dear Benjie never really understood about my use of words, but I can assure you he knew exactly what I was thinking!

So to Mighty Max, Omi, Griffski & Tonibun all who very kindly supported me on my last thread. That is the end of our story. Absolutely nothing happened as I expected.
    Tell you what - I'm really missing him snoring. So used to waiting for him to start snoring then "Good He's asleep - I can go to sleep now!". What!!! a rabbit lullabye Eh?

I'd like to say that terminal care is far from "giving up". It's battle royal with meticulous attention to every detail to maintain quality of life.
    Because Benjie got incredibly distressed by "interferance" we don't have a "definative diagnosis". We just took tests to the point where we were certain that we weren't missing anything treatable or which would alter management.
    I feel that I have been an advocate for my bunny. I've said "If it's going to affect his management we'll get through it somehow, but please don't put him through terror just to satisfy our intellectual curiosity."
    Last edited by thumps_; 20-06-2017 at 03:44 AM.

I am saddened to read of little Benjie's passing He could not have been in better care, not only for his physical well-being but just as importnat, for his psychological and emotional well-being.

Quote Originally Posted by thumps_ View Post
    I feel that I have been an advocate for my bunny. I've said "If it's going to affect his management we'll get through it somehow, but please don't put him through terror just to satisfy our intellectual curiosity."
    You have been a true advocate and friend to both Thumper and Benjie. Just because some treatments/diagnostics/surgical procedures may be possible it does not mean that it is always ethical to put a Rabbit through them.

RIP Benjie xx

So very sorry

Sleep tightly little one xxx

Warren Veteran

I am so sad to read your update about Benjie

I am convinced that you gave him the best life he could have wished for. You cared for him in every way and importantly you understood him as a rabbit.

I'd like to say that terminal care is far from "giving up". It's battle royal with meticulous attention to every detail to maintain quality of life.

I totally agree with these sentiments. It is especially relevant in a rabbit's situation because the rabbit is not aware that they are in that stage of their life. They are just aware of the love and care that they are receiving, plus in Benjie's case he trusted that you would never let him down and you didn't.

I am sorry that you are now without Benjie and send you lots of hugs.

Please let us know how you are from time to time.

Oh Judy...my heart fell at your thread title and seeing it in Rainbow Bridge. I could not be more gutted had Benjie been my own. My dear friend, I am so very, very sorry for your loss.
    But what a life he had with you! No one could have known him better and a hat tip to dear Thumper for prepping you for that role.
    I grieve with you. Saying goodbye to such a cherished friend is so difficult. But I also take heart at your words, "terminal care is far from 'giving up'. It's battle royal with meticulous attention to every detail to maintain quality of life"...if anyone would understand just how to care for such a gentle soul as Benjie, it is you. I hope the memories of your time with him will sustain and comfort you.
    Peace to you, my friend. It has been so long since we spoke last and I am sorry for that. My inbox is always open should you need.
    Sleep well, magnificent Benjie. A true rabbit's rabbit. xxxxxxxxx

I'm so very sad to hear you lost Benjie he was very lucky to have ended up with you thinking of you xx

Binky free Benjie xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mama Doe

So sorry.

I'm sorry Benjies time came. I loved hearing your stories of how you were bonded with each other & the fascinating ways he managed his health through your foraging. Sleep tight beautiful x

Quote Originally Posted by thumps_ View Post
    Benjie came to me on Jan 18th. He was found trying to cross a busy dual carriageway in rush hour, in the dark & was jet black. No one claimed him, so I took him in. it wasn't just simple snuffles, he had pasteurellosis with 2 abcesses. Even the vet's face fell. She doubted he'd get through his 1st year. I've lost track of time but think he's now nearly 6.

A totally different temperament from Thumper, Benjie was scared of everything & tended to stay in his artificial warren but he was the most amazingly affectionate furry friend I have ever had. He would even leave eating to come over for a stroke. We were heavily into allogrooming! As I gave him nose rubs lying on the floor, he'd rest his face on my cheek & give me nose licks.
    Before he'd worked out that hands legs & head were all me & my fur was removable, I had to stop wearing my ancient wooly jumper, because he'd carefully "groom out the bobbles" giving me a look as if to say "Don't you ever groom? Your coat is disgraceful."

He's mainly known for nearly getting me admitted to geriatric hospital when he went severely hormonal very quickly. I have no idea how bucks can produce so much urine on demand. Yep he peed my bed & after 2 days all my downie covers & sheets were in the wash slow to dry in Feb/March. So the nurse visits me. Looks down the garden & after considerable effort to find the words said "Do you have wee wee problems?" Innocently I just said "Nope" wondering what had occasioned the question, followed her gaze & saw the full washing line. "Oh it's my rabbit!" Nurse gave me THAT look which basically says "pull the other one".

Benjie did really well with the snuffles & just had regular bisolvon for the last 3 years. Life was unkind to him because last autumn he got thrombocytopaenia (A bit of a shock) weight loss incredibly nervous, dysbiosis & GI slow down - abdominal pain with "cradling" which gave him minor hock sores, then relapse of snuffles with tear duct blocked with the infection. Benjie's snoring got worse so he'd wake himself up with it, started sleeping with his chin on the ground & got a "hock sore on his chin". He had 2 courses of injectable ABx over winter (tetracycline family) He'd had a longstanding skin condition which waxed & waned - identical to human piliform acathoma except it made bigger plaques.

Following on from the last thread about forage & unusual behaviours. We got his GI tract under control, pain free - with dill leaves & during winter weeping willow twigs until the leaves came into bud +broad leaf & ribwort plantain. He actually regained weight. His chin & hocks healed. Tear duct unblocked (needed help with ABx eye ointment the last time. Changed to dill, thyme, hawthorn & dandelions in spring, but were starting to lose the battle with weight. Poor little fella couldn't get enough nutrient in - cut back on woody fibre, & latterly cut back on dandelions because they're diuretic & he was filling himself up with water. So his poohs were small & black but well formed & no uneaten caecals. He needed about 3/4 carrierbagful of forage per day & for the last month mainly yarrow which has only just appeared. There are a few reasons why it might help his skin.

Then his skin condition went crazy a large hard plaque under his left eye & upper eyelid, on his muzzle, & lips but he seemed to be eating OK despite it. Finally the lumps invaded his right nostril,which I had to clear of discharge with gentle massage. The discharge was surprisingly clear. Obviously his nose "bubbled" a bit as he breathed but he wasn't in "respiratory distress". By 2 weeks ago he was painfully thin having lost 700 Gm, his coat was magnificent, silky soft & glossy & he was into allogrooming me as always, as well as hopping round the house. The only reliable treatment for his skin condition was surgical removal which wasn't practicable.

At some time between Sat midday & Sun. midday the council mowed every verge & bridleway on both sides in the area. I had to drive about 50 miles down all the lanes just to get enough food for 24 hours & there was none left. I couldn't feed him. So we had a mammoth allogrooming all day, & he fell asleep at the vets last evening.
    He was much braver than I was - I've never known him so calm.
    I didn't ask for a pm. Some frown at me for keeping single buns but there have been good health reasons for both. Instead I learned the rabbit behaviour needed from partner buns & provided it to the best of my ability - I assure you it gives a very close relationship. Dear Benjie never really understood about my use of words, but I can assure you he knew exactly what I was thinking!

So to Mighty Max, Omi, Griffski & Tonibun all who very kindly supported me on my last thread. That is the end of our story. Absolutely nothing happened as I expected.
    Tell you what - I'm really missing him snoring. So used to waiting for him to start snoring then "Good He's asleep - I can go to sleep now!". What!!! a rabbit lullabye Eh?

Because Benjie got incredibly distressed by "interferance" we don't have a "definative diagnosis". We just took tests to the point where we were certain that we weren't missing anything treatable or which would alter management.

My dear dear friend. You are a brave soul, as was the lovely Benjie.

You've described palliative care so well - "attention to every detail to maintain quality of life". I know the lengths you went to, to provide his forage and the necessary plants with the medicinal qualities good for him.

You have also gone out of your way to help others, when you've been nursing a sick rabbit at home. So selfless and such a wonderful support to me.

Bless you and Benjie. You will always be in my thoughts Judy.

Love and hugs xx

I'm so sorry. You gave him the best life he could have had. You were an advocate for him. You did amazingly well and have gone above and beyond what many other rabbit owners would do.
    Sleep tight Bengie. I hope you're binkying at the rainbow bridge. X