• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benjie le bun bun

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Benjie came to me on Jan 18th. He was found trying to cross a busy dual carriageway in rush hour, in the dark & was jet black. No one claimed him, so I took him in. it wasn't just simple snuffles, he had pasteurellosis with 2 abcesses. Even the vet's face fell. She doubted he'd get through his 1st year. I've lost track of time but think he's now nearly 6.

A totally different temperament from Thumper, Benjie was scared of everything & tended to stay in his artificial warren but he was the most amazingly affectionate furry friend I have ever had. He would even leave eating to come over for a stroke. We were heavily into allogrooming! As I gave him nose rubs lying on the floor, he'd rest his face on my cheek & give me nose licks.
Before he'd worked out that hands legs & head were all me & my fur was removable, I had to stop wearing my ancient wooly jumper, because he'd carefully "groom out the bobbles" giving me a look as if to say "Don't you ever groom? Your coat is disgraceful."

He's mainly known for nearly getting me admitted to geriatric hospital when he went severely hormonal very quickly. I have no idea how bucks can produce so much urine on demand. Yep he peed my bed & after 2 days all my downie covers & sheets were in the wash slow to dry in Feb/March. So the nurse visits me. Looks down the garden & after considerable effort to find the words said "Do you have wee wee problems?" Innocently I just said "Nope" wondering what had occasioned the question, followed her gaze & saw the full washing line. "Oh it's my rabbit!" Nurse gave me THAT look which basically says "pull the other one".

Benjie did really well with the snuffles & just had regular bisolvon for the last 3 years. Life was unkind to him because last autumn he got thrombocytopaenia (A bit of a shock) weight loss incredibly nervous, dysbiosis & GI slow down - abdominal pain with "cradling" which gave him minor hock sores, then relapse of snuffles with tear duct blocked with the infection. Benjie's snoring got worse so he'd wake himself up with it, started sleeping with his chin on the ground & got a "hock sore on his chin". He had 2 courses of injectable ABx over winter (tetracycline family) He'd had a longstanding skin condition which waxed & waned - identical to human piliform acathoma except it made bigger plaques.

Following on from the last thread about forage & unusual behaviours. We got his GI tract under control, pain free - with dill leaves & during winter weeping willow twigs until the leaves came into bud +broad leaf & ribwort plantain. He actually regained weight. His chin & hocks healed. Tear duct unblocked (needed help with ABx eye ointment the last time. Changed to dill, thyme, hawthorn & dandelions in spring, but were starting to lose the battle with weight. Poor little fella couldn't get enough nutrient in - cut back on woody fibre, & latterly cut back on dandelions because they're diuretic & he was filling himself up with water. So his poohs were small & black but well formed & no uneaten caecals. He needed about 3/4 carrierbagful of forage per day & for the last month mainly yarrow which has only just appeared. There are a few reasons why it might help his skin.

Then his skin condition went crazy a large hard plaque under his left eye & upper eyelid, on his muzzle, & lips but he seemed to be eating OK despite it. Finally the lumps invaded his right nostril,which I had to clear of discharge with gentle massage. The discharge was surprisingly clear. Obviously his nose "bubbled" a bit as he breathed but he wasn't in "respiratory distress". By 2 weeks ago he was painfully thin having lost 700 Gm, his coat was magnificent, silky soft & glossy & he was into allogrooming me as always, as well as hopping round the house. The only reliable treatment for his skin condition was surgical removal which wasn't practicable.

At some time between Sat midday & Sun. midday the council mowed every verge & bridleway on both sides in the area. I had to drive about 50 miles down all the lanes just to get enough food for 24 hours & there was none left. I couldn't feed him. So we had a mammoth allogrooming all day, & he fell asleep at the vets last evening.
He was much braver than I was - I've never known him so calm.
I didn't ask for a pm. Some frown at me for keeping single buns but there have been good health reasons for both. Instead I learned the rabbit behaviour needed from partner buns & provided it to the best of my ability - I assure you it gives a very close relationship. Dear Benjie never really understood about my use of words, but I can assure you he knew exactly what I was thinking!

So to Mighty Max, Omi, Griffski & Tonibun all who very kindly supported me on my last thread. That is the end of our story. Absolutely nothing happened as I expected.
Tell you what - I'm really missing him snoring. So used to waiting for him to start snoring then "Good He's asleep - I can go to sleep now!". What!!! a rabbit lullabye Eh?

I'd like to say that terminal care is far from "giving up". It's battle royal with meticulous attention to every detail to maintain quality of life.
Because Benjie got incredibly distressed by "interferance" we don't have a "definative diagnosis". We just took tests to the point where we were certain that we weren't missing anything treatable or which would alter management.
I feel that I have been an advocate for my bunny. I've said "If it's going to affect his management we'll get through it somehow, but please don't put him through terror just to satisfy our intellectual curiosity."

Last edited:
I am saddened to read of little Benjie's passing :cry: He could not have been in better care, not only for his physical well-being but just as importnat, for his psychological and emotional well-being.

I feel that I have been an advocate for my bunny. I've said "If it's going to affect his management we'll get through it somehow, but please don't put him through terror just to satisfy our intellectual curiosity."

You have been a true advocate and friend to both Thumper and Benjie. Just because some treatments/diagnostics/surgical procedures may be possible it does not mean that it is always ethical to put a Rabbit through them.

RIP Benjie xx

I am so sad to read your update about Benjie :cry:

I am convinced that you gave him the best life he could have wished for. You cared for him in every way and importantly you understood him as a rabbit.

I'd like to say that terminal care is far from "giving up". It's battle royal with meticulous attention to every detail to maintain quality of life.

I totally agree with these sentiments. It is especially relevant in a rabbit's situation because the rabbit is not aware that they are in that stage of their life. They are just aware of the love and care that they are receiving, plus in Benjie's case he trusted that you would never let him down and you didn't.

I am sorry that you are now without Benjie and send you lots of hugs.

Please let us know how you are from time to time.

Oh Judy...my heart fell at your thread title and seeing it in Rainbow Bridge. I could not be more gutted had Benjie been my own. My dear friend, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. :cry:
But what a life he had with you! No one could have known him better and a hat tip to dear Thumper for prepping you for that role.
I grieve with you. Saying goodbye to such a cherished friend is so difficult. But I also take heart at your words, "terminal care is far from 'giving up'. It's battle royal with meticulous attention to every detail to maintain quality of life"...if anyone would understand just how to care for such a gentle soul as Benjie, it is you. I hope the memories of your time with him will sustain and comfort you.
Peace to you, my friend. It has been so long since we spoke last and I am sorry for that. My inbox is always open should you need.
Sleep well, magnificent Benjie. A true rabbit's rabbit. xxxxxxxxx

I'm so very sad to hear you lost Benjie :cry: he was very lucky to have ended up with you :love: thinking of you xx

Binky free Benjie xx

I'm sorry Benjies time came. I loved hearing your stories of how you were bonded with each other & the fascinating ways he managed his health through your foraging. Sleep tight beautiful x

Benjie came to me on Jan 18th. He was found trying to cross a busy dual carriageway in rush hour, in the dark & was jet black. No one claimed him, so I took him in. it wasn't just simple snuffles, he had pasteurellosis with 2 abcesses. Even the vet's face fell. She doubted he'd get through his 1st year. I've lost track of time but think he's now nearly 6.

A totally different temperament from Thumper, Benjie was scared of everything & tended to stay in his artificial warren but he was the most amazingly affectionate furry friend I have ever had. He would even leave eating to come over for a stroke. We were heavily into allogrooming! As I gave him nose rubs lying on the floor, he'd rest his face on my cheek & give me nose licks.
Before he'd worked out that hands legs & head were all me & my fur was removable, I had to stop wearing my ancient wooly jumper, because he'd carefully "groom out the bobbles" giving me a look as if to say "Don't you ever groom? Your coat is disgraceful."

He's mainly known for nearly getting me admitted to geriatric hospital when he went severely hormonal very quickly. I have no idea how bucks can produce so much urine on demand. Yep he peed my bed & after 2 days all my downie covers & sheets were in the wash slow to dry in Feb/March. So the nurse visits me. Looks down the garden & after considerable effort to find the words said "Do you have wee wee problems?" Innocently I just said "Nope" wondering what had occasioned the question, followed her gaze & saw the full washing line. "Oh it's my rabbit!" Nurse gave me THAT look which basically says "pull the other one".

Benjie did really well with the snuffles & just had regular bisolvon for the last 3 years. Life was unkind to him because last autumn he got thrombocytopaenia (A bit of a shock) weight loss incredibly nervous, dysbiosis & GI slow down - abdominal pain with "cradling" which gave him minor hock sores, then relapse of snuffles with tear duct blocked with the infection. Benjie's snoring got worse so he'd wake himself up with it, started sleeping with his chin on the ground & got a "hock sore on his chin". He had 2 courses of injectable ABx over winter (tetracycline family) He'd had a longstanding skin condition which waxed & waned - identical to human piliform acathoma except it made bigger plaques.

Following on from the last thread about forage & unusual behaviours. We got his GI tract under control, pain free - with dill leaves & during winter weeping willow twigs until the leaves came into bud +broad leaf & ribwort plantain. He actually regained weight. His chin & hocks healed. Tear duct unblocked (needed help with ABx eye ointment the last time. Changed to dill, thyme, hawthorn & dandelions in spring, but were starting to lose the battle with weight. Poor little fella couldn't get enough nutrient in - cut back on woody fibre, & latterly cut back on dandelions because they're diuretic & he was filling himself up with water. So his poohs were small & black but well formed & no uneaten caecals. He needed about 3/4 carrierbagful of forage per day & for the last month mainly yarrow which has only just appeared. There are a few reasons why it might help his skin.

Then his skin condition went crazy a large hard plaque under his left eye & upper eyelid, on his muzzle, & lips but he seemed to be eating OK despite it. Finally the lumps invaded his right nostril,which I had to clear of discharge with gentle massage. The discharge was surprisingly clear. Obviously his nose "bubbled" a bit as he breathed but he wasn't in "respiratory distress". By 2 weeks ago he was painfully thin having lost 700 Gm, his coat was magnificent, silky soft & glossy & he was into allogrooming me as always, as well as hopping round the house. The only reliable treatment for his skin condition was surgical removal which wasn't practicable.

At some time between Sat midday & Sun. midday the council mowed every verge & bridleway on both sides in the area. I had to drive about 50 miles down all the lanes just to get enough food for 24 hours & there was none left. I couldn't feed him. So we had a mammoth allogrooming all day, & he fell asleep at the vets last evening.
He was much braver than I was - I've never known him so calm.
I didn't ask for a pm. Some frown at me for keeping single buns but there have been good health reasons for both. Instead I learned the rabbit behaviour needed from partner buns & provided it to the best of my ability - I assure you it gives a very close relationship. Dear Benjie never really understood about my use of words, but I can assure you he knew exactly what I was thinking!

So to Mighty Max, Omi, Griffski & Tonibun all who very kindly supported me on my last thread. That is the end of our story. Absolutely nothing happened as I expected.
Tell you what - I'm really missing him snoring. So used to waiting for him to start snoring then "Good He's asleep - I can go to sleep now!". What!!! a rabbit lullabye Eh?

Because Benjie got incredibly distressed by "interferance" we don't have a "definative diagnosis". We just took tests to the point where we were certain that we weren't missing anything treatable or which would alter management.

My dear dear friend. You are a brave soul, as was the lovely Benjie.

You've described palliative care so well - "attention to every detail to maintain quality of life". I know the lengths you went to, to provide his forage and the necessary plants with the medicinal qualities good for him.

You have also gone out of your way to help others, when you've been nursing a sick rabbit at home. So selfless and such a wonderful support to me.

Bless you and Benjie. You will always be in my thoughts Judy.

Love and hugs xx

I'm so sorry. :( You gave him the best life he could have had. You were an advocate for him. You did amazingly well and have gone above and beyond what many other rabbit owners would do.
Sleep tight Bengie. I hope you're binkying at the rainbow bridge. X

Judy,
I'm so very sorry to hear about Benjie. We talked about him a little and I know that he was very special to you.
Your knowledge has helped to make me a better rabbit owner so I have no doubt that Benjie had the most wonderful life with you, you go above and beyond!
Sleep tight sweet boy and all the love in the world to you.
xxx

Such a lucky little bunny to have found you. Thinking of you at such a tough time. Sweet dreams Benjie xx

Really sorry 😔 it's so hard but sounds like you gave him all you could. Xx

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

My thoughts are with you. He was such a lucky bunny, in all ways and know your home won't be the same now.

Binky free Benjie x

Benjie sounds like he truly landed on his paws with you. He couldn't have asked for better care and attention. The relationship you shared must have been incredible. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. xxx

Oh my but I'm quiet overwhelmed by all your kind posts.
I can't reply to you all, but it's lovely to "meet" so many friends from the "old days" again & it's been a long time.

Thank you all so very much, it's been such a great help to me, & very unexpected because I didn't post much about him.
I suppose that the only thing of interest to others was his change in behaviour during snuffles flare up. His early experience left him excessively aware of his vulnerability to predation, so his compromised sense of smell during flare up, caused some unusual behaviours. eg he had normal vision, but would attempt to make up for his lack of smell by head bobbing & periscoping a lot. "Is it alive? Is it dangerous?" & he couldn't recognise me so easily".

I'd like to add that foraging for a sick rabbit is totally different from a healthy rabbit. A healthy rabbit will eat a wide variety of forage, but a sick rabbit is eating for medication & in my experience confines themselves to a very narrow diet. It's as though they are saying "that food doesn't help me so there's no point eating it". I've looked up some of the medicinal properties of the plants Thumper & Benjie chose, but at the end of the day they could have chosen them for totally different reasons - reasons we're unaware of.

I DO have one good tip onan unsavoury topic. Benjie came with pin worm infestation, but in view of treating his pasteurellosis we decided to leave it until later. The eggs contaminate the environment so reinfection can be a problem.
I'd left a box of blackthorn leaves on the floor & was quite shocked to find Benjie had hopped in & was devouring them. After a stasis prone rabbit I was a habitual poop gazer & checked the tray whenever I went into the room. So I saw the worms on the poops before they had dried out & become invisable. Benjie cleared himself out within less than 48 hours! About 2 months later I was totally unaware he had become reinfested except he started blackthorn again. 6 worms came out. There was a repeat about 2 months later & that was the end of it. Blackthorn has to be collected at a very specific time of year/stage of growth to be suitable for rabbits. This is discussed on old threads. I mention this because Benjie knew he had reinfested at a much earlier stage than I did, so he was able to stop environmental contamination which I wouldn't have been able to do.

I'm OK just grieving normally my eyes are "incontinent" - the standard things of thinking the smallest noise is him hopping round the house - then remembering. Looking at the shadowy bedroom threshold where he lay up at night to stroke him in passing - seeing a black rabbit in the shade isn't easy!! The house feels very empty. Saying to the very kind receptionist "No he wasn't my baby". Then realising that the relationship was much more equal than that, love and resept for each other's needs more like an incredibly undemanding partner. We only had "rows" when he was learning how to be a rabbit without destroying the house, or I did something "nasty" such as vet visits, & got the rabbit "order of the bum" which needed suitable appeasement. I'd tickle his bum until he turned round, then there were lots of nose rubs until we'd made up.

Benjie was unique in another way. He is literally my only furry friend who got away with "teeth on". "Teeth not allowed" has always been the big rule in my house.
He frightened me the 1st time. I'd been stroking him which made him very relaxed, almost sleepy, & removed my hand. He moved so fast, I thought he was lunging. & then grabbed my finger incredibly gently, so I could barely feel it.It was just that he hadn't returned the complement of licking (grooming) me! & was telling me not to remove my hand. I had a few "nose holds" in his eagernes to return the complement too. Benjie was pure love. So yes, of course I'm tearful, but feel one of the most blessed of people. I couldn't imagine it possible to be given so much love, & be asked for so little.

Thank you so much for your replies everyone. it means so much to me.

I apologise to those I've neglected & ask your understanding that we had a lot of problems to sort out, & needed innovative answers. I couldn't focus outside our own difficulties.

I feel I need to apologise particularly to RoxyRoller & Sylar, but think Tonibun cracked your problems!
Sylar & Benjie could have been identical twins before one of Benjies ears grew slightly larger than the other & lopped.

Mentioning binkies. Benjie was a bit "back heavy". He eventually managed a proper binkie with 4 feet off the ground, but usually did back end or front end binkies with a tail wag! I think there was a lot of Beveran in him.

Back