• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run advice

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Spud, our indoor bun is struggling in this heat. I've done all the practical things inside, iced bottle to lie against, fan, curtains closed etc, but we would like to get him an outside run for some of the time.

We already planned to, but it's now more of a priority. Our garden isn't secure enough for him to have supervised free run and obviously we have the other rabbits out there.

Can anyone recommend something suitable / a company to buy from?

- The bigger the better.
- Good quality. but not costing a fortune.
- Wont take weeks to come.
- Would consider second hand, but so far haven't found anything suitable.
- Prepared to ditch traditional run idea in favour of something else, an aviary for instance.
- Could potentially make something, but don't want it to cost more than if id just bought one.

Thanks x

You could ask a local joiner? Hopefully bumping up more people can advise:thumb:

Are you planning on leaving him unattended? if not, what about some puppy panels to secure the garden or use as a run?

Thanks both, not a popular topic lol :lol:

Ideally it would be good to be able to put him out there, when we might not be able to sit with him. But that's not a bad idea to think about something supervised in the meantime.

We did buy a harness/lead for him :)oops:) so we could take him out, but he was continously going up to Dottie and Ziggys run and Ziggy wasn't best pleased! x

Amazon has a fantastic hexagonal run for about £20. It has posts that can be pushed securely into the soil. We are using it to bond our bunnies indoors.
52492b3a974029962e51fde4e34e0410.jpg

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Amazon has a fantastic hexagonal run for about £20. It has posts that can be pushed securely into the soil. We are using it to bond our bunnies indoors.
52492b3a974029962e51fde4e34e0410.jpg

I bought several of these over the years and found them to be brilliant, could open them up to bunny proof the garden or join several together to make a very large run. The Piggies even lived in one indoors for a couple of years.

Our boy goes in the run as being put in it stresses out the new bun. Slowly shes letting him get close and run less

Thanks both.

We did have something similar, but we've used parts of it to section of my dd's bedroom for our indoor rabbit. Although they are cheap enough we could get another. It could provide a solution until we can get a secure run.

I don't know if anyone has any recommendations for a wooden run that we can leave him unattended in x

Last edited:
Have you tried Home and Roost online? They've got a sale on with some of their runs. I've not used them but was going to buy one but then saw a second hand one. Otherwise, I looked on Gumtree, saw a local joiner making (tiny) hutches and I contacted him and he made me a bespoke 6x8 heavy duty run. It only took a week or so.

I've made my own run in the past, quite straightforward if you have some tools and patience :lol: I've also had a chartwell run provided for my foster rabbits (https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/6ft-chartwell-rabbit-run/ - I think it's the xl version of this one I have) which has been ok. In comparison to the one I made I find the wood a bit thin on the chartwell but it does the job and I think would be fine especially if it's not for 24/7 use. I think by the time you buy the wood and mesh to make your own it's not massively cheaper than buying a ready made run but it can be more flexible to make one to your own spec.

Have you tried Home and Roost online? They've got a sale on with some of their runs. I've not used them but was going to buy one but then saw a second hand one. Otherwise, I looked on Gumtree, saw a local joiner making (tiny) hutches and I contacted him and he made me a bespoke 6x8 heavy duty run. It only took a week or so.

Yes, its one of the places I've been looking because we have one of theirs already (in use). It's the Kendal hutch and run combo, but we've since taken it apart and use the top hutch as a den for our trio and the run for one of our pairs. It obviously had a panel missing on top where the hutch sat, so we've created a roof for it.

I do like their runs and the one we have has lasted well, but for a good size one id need to spend around £130. I could go smaller, but I might end up regretting it.

Those suggesting diy, we have thought about this, as we have access to tools and my dh's quite handy. But he's worried that by the time we source the materials and make it, we might have saved money (and time) by buying one x

I've used ukrabbithutches. Very good communication and usually 7-10 working days. Good size wooden runs but just need to add bolts

Thanks for the replies :)

The guy at ukrabbithutches made our 12x6 run. He did a great job. I have been looking on the website, I think I'd be parting with £100 plus for something large x

Those suggesting diy, we have thought about this, as we have access to tools and my dh's quite handy. But he's worried that by the time we source the materials and make it, we might have saved money (and time) by buying one x
I discovered this: by the time I worked out how much I'd want to spend building my own properly, it was only a few tens of £s more to buy, and given my DIY skills are patchy at best (I can build 'kits' like a playhouse or shed but from scratch tends to be a bit more haphazard, emphasis on the hazard :lol:) and I'd've needed to spend loads of time on it, I decided to buy until my Dad said he'd make one. Which we're STILL not making use of. So if you've got a way to get two 2.5x4x4 runs (they're designed to join in the middle to make 2.5x4x8, and they're only 2.5' tall because that was what would fit through our gate :lol:), and a few quid to buy a bit more weldmesh, I could lend you ours but you'd have to attach the weldmesh to it: we have most of a roll left from doing the playhouse windows and mini-hutch end, I'm just not sure it's enough! You could borrow the staple gun too unless you have a better tool (if anyone has suggestions, let me know: hammering the staples in doesn't work as there's too much flexibility/bounce!). It's also been designed with short people in mind so I can get into it :thumb: (that was my idea XD I can design, just not build!). I don't have a roofrack for my car but I reckon each piece would attach fine to a roofrack, but it'd be two trips, so if you're miles from Nottingham, probably not worth it XD

Aw thanks, I'm over two hours away though.

Someone was giving away a huge run locally, that just needs re-meshing, but it comes with two rabbits lol! My dh was like :roll: lol x

I bought several of these over the years and found them to be brilliant, could open them up to bunny proof the garden or join several together to make a very large run. The Piggies even lived in one indoors for a couple of years.

Your rabbits are beautiful!

Back