• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess /Loose / Hanging Skin behind front leg.

Well vet gave Oliver thorough examination, expresses urine and no sludge came out and spun his urine sample and tested it and showed normal sludge levels and no infection present. She said she couldn't feel any sludge in his bladder. So we are going to try a glucosamine supplement to see if that helps and as he has only been on the extra fluids 2 weeks continue with those . His ear infection hasn't returned so that's great news. So I am glad he didon't need a flush and she thinks it's bladder imflamation still but said of no improvement in 4 weeks to come back to maybe xray. So he will continue with metacam as well. He was eatting his hay bale in the vets too so he isnt too stressed by it all. Glad to have him checked over.

That sounds like a good update. I'm glad you didn't have to go in for diagnostics this time. X-rays and blood tests are stressful on the little fur balls ...

Glucosamine works very well, but takes a good few weeks to kick in a make a difference. I know this from experimenting with it on myself too! I have used herbs to help with bladder inflammation and the mucilaginous ones can work very well. And they are *safe* - I always check with my very rabbit savvy vet :thumb:

Well vet gave Oliver thorough examination, expresses urine and no sludge came out and spun his urine sample and tested it and showed normal sludge levels and no infection present. She said she couldn't feel any sludge in his bladder. So we are going to try a glucosamine supplement to see if that helps and as he has only been on the extra fluids 2 weeks continue with those . His ear infection hasn't returned so that's great news. So I am glad he didon't need a flush and she thinks it's bladder imflamation still but said of no improvement in 4 weeks to come back to maybe xray. So he will continue with metacam as well. He was eatting his hay bale in the vets too so he isnt too stressed by it all. Glad to have him checked over.

It sounds as though the Vet is very pleased with Oliver, which is great news :) I hope that he continues to do well so you can relax too xx

Hi everyone, yes I feel I can relax a bit more now. The loose skin was less this morning and vet check it and said everything was normal and ok. It must have been the fluid bit I guess I thought after 12 hours it would have been away but glad it was ok. So got Oliver his glucosamine and gave him it in a bit of banana. Ate it all ! He would never have touched banana with cystaid in it . Max what are these other herbs that help the bladder, I would be very interested in those.

Great news that the vet was pleased with Oliver and you didn't have to have the bladder sludge done..

Hi everyone, yes I feel I can relax a bit more now. The loose skin was less this morning and vet check it and said everything was normal and ok. It must have been the fluid bit I guess I thought after 12 hours it would have been away but glad it was ok. So got Oliver his glucosamine and gave him it in a bit of banana. Ate it all ! He would never have touched banana with cystaid in it . Max what are these other herbs that help the bladder, I would be very interested in those.

Hi Nicky :wave:

As you know, I don't talk about 'alternatives' in public, as there is misunderstanding and hostility. However, I was going to PM you about the herbs when I saw you'd PM'd me first.

Then I cleared out my Inbox to make room to reply and I've deleted your message. So sorry!!

Can you resend please :D

Back