• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this be suitable flooring for sore hocks?

I'm wondering if it might be a bit uneven. My vet asked me to imagine if I had really sore soles of my feet what would I want to walk barefoot on - I found that a helpful way to look at it.

I've never heard it discussed in a rabbit context before but I reckon rolls of cork flooring might be good. It is sustainable, has naturally antibacterial properties, waterproof & if you got a thick enough one it would allow their nails to sink in & allow natural movement. Thats my logic anyway - I'd be interested to know others thoughts

I'm wondering if it might be a bit uneven. My vet asked me to imagine if I had really sore soles of my feet what would I want to walk barefoot on - I found that a helpful way to look at it.

I've never heard it discussed in a rabbit context before but I reckon rolls of cork flooring might be good. It is sustainable, has naturally antibacterial properties, waterproof & if you got a thick enough one it would allow their nails to sink in & allow natural movement. Thats my logic anyway - I'd be interested to know others thoughts

That's what I was trying to describe. It wouldn't ensure constant pressure across the whole of the foot.

Cork may well be a good idea. :thumb:

I have used it before, when I had my quad in a shed and big run. it is quite soft in terms of bark. It's meant for kids to roll around on :lol: if the hock is already sore or open then I wouldn't think it would be any good.

Don't use ornamental bark as that has been treated with chemicals and may be coloured.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/j-arthur-bower's-play-bark---100l-402088

In the outdoor run, at the mo i've got VetBed in there temporarily but it's not ideal when it rains! The ground is solid and I can't do much about it because there's huge tree roots underneath :evil:

You know, I've seen this used in rabbit rescues, so maybe it's not all bad, but my instinct says not for rabbits with sore hocks. A deep bedding of hay is the ideal, but not always possible.

There's also the chemicals that the wood could be treated with, and I know (at least to begin with) there's *strong* smells. That said, I believe that play bark for children isn't treated with chemicals in the same way ornamental bark would be.

What would you do if they toileted in the area?

I think that play bark - e.g. this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Bark-Chippings-90L/p/114287 would be suitable for rabbits who didn't have sore hock issues.

Sorry not to be of more help :wave:

Back