Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this be suitable flooring for sore hocks?

Default Would this be suitable flooring for sore hocks?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...---100l-402088

In the outdoor run, at the mo i've got VetBed in there temporarily but it's not ideal when it rains! The ground is solid and I can't do much about it because there's huge tree roots underneath

Warren Veteran

Not sure. I'm wondering whether it may be a bit sharp/pointy?

I'm wondering if it might be a bit uneven. My vet asked me to imagine if I had really sore soles of my feet what would I want to walk barefoot on - I found that a helpful way to look at it.

I've never heard it discussed in a rabbit context before but I reckon rolls of cork flooring might be good. It is sustainable, has naturally antibacterial properties, waterproof & if you got a thick enough one it would allow their nails to sink in & allow natural movement. Thats my logic anyway - I'd be interested to know others thoughts

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm wondering if it might be a bit uneven. My vet asked me to imagine if I had really sore soles of my feet what would I want to walk barefoot on - I found that a helpful way to look at it.

I've never heard it discussed in a rabbit context before but I reckon rolls of cork flooring might be good. It is sustainable, has naturally antibacterial properties, waterproof & if you got a thick enough one it would allow their nails to sink in & allow natural movement. Thats my logic anyway - I'd be interested to know others thoughts
    That's what I was trying to describe. It wouldn't ensure constant pressure across the whole of the foot.

Cork may well be a good idea.

I have used it before, when I had my quad in a shed and big run. it is quite soft in terms of bark. It's meant for kids to roll around on if the hock is already sore or open then I wouldn't think it would be any good.

Don't use ornamental bark as that has been treated with chemicals and may be coloured.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by MummyBunnyEm View Post

In the outdoor run, at the mo i've got VetBed in there temporarily but it's not ideal when it rains! The ground is solid and I can't do much about it because there's huge tree roots underneath

You know, I've seen this used in rabbit rescues, so maybe it's not all bad, but my instinct says not for rabbits with sore hocks. A deep bedding of hay is the ideal, but not always possible.

There's also the chemicals that the wood could be treated with, and I know (at least to begin with) there's *strong* smells. That said, I believe that play bark for children isn't treated with chemicals in the same way ornamental bark would be.

What would you do if they toileted in the area?

I think that play bark - e.g. this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Bark-...s-90L/p/114287 would be suitable for rabbits who didn't have sore hock issues.

Sorry not to be of more help

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by MummyBunnyEm View Post

Personally I do not think it is suitable. What about stable matting ?

Thank you for your replies. I have to say I wasn't convinced by the bark myself but I feel I'm running out of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Personally I do not think it is suitable. What about stable matting ?
    That was another option I looked into, would something have to go over the matting as it looks a bit hazardous?

I will look into the cork flooring too