• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Farm Baled Hay

Louise H

Young Bun
My rabbits hardly eat hay and I've tried a few things but still nothing has changed. They get lots of time in the lawn while the weather is good and someone recommended farm baled hay as it's tastier than shop bought. Does anyone on here live local to Leeds U.K, and use farm baled and if so where do you get it from? If not what hay do you use and recommend for picky mini lops!! Thank you in advance, Louise

I'm not local to you so can't help with specific recommendations, but I buy my baled hay from an agricultural feed merchant where they sell it for horses. If you can find a similar place it means the quality should be good. You could ask at stables/saddlerys for recommendations

timothyhay.co.uk is lovely hay. I'm just waiting on my order of green oat hay from there. Previously my rabbits ate farm baled hay with no problems but mine was recommended by bunnybuddy on here. I would say mine are more enthusiastic about the timothy. Price wise buying 10 kilo on line is about half way between baled hay which is really cheap compared to pet shop hay with is really expensive & generally poor quality.

I'm not in your area, but I buy my bales from a nearby equestrian shop. Sometimes at this time of year they get a little sniffy about it as it's last year's stuff (but they still eat it!), but soon they'll have super fresh bales from this year.

Is it Timothy Hay? As I was under the impression that Timothy Hay was what you were meant to give rabbits. Or is it ok to give them other hay instead?

I think it will be meadow hay. Timothy hay is what I think of as posh, expensive hay - the treat stuff (or for spoilt bunnies the everyday stuff ;)). But no, Timothy hay is just one type you can give them. It's usually quite stalky, the hay from Blue Barn is likely to be finer. The bales I get from local equestrian shop doesn't specify it's just 'hay' but it's a lot like Timothy hay at the moment.

As I was under the impression that Timothy Hay was what you were meant to give rabbits. Or is it ok to give them other hay instead?

Of course.

For me, the concept of single species hay was quite absurd when I first read about it online, here, hay is whatever grows wild on the meadows. And that is what wild rabbits thrive on (the meadow, not hay, of course) and is fed to every livestock. In my opinion, the more diversity in food the better.

There may be more waste, since they pick out what they like/need, I guess they don't do that so much with pure Timothy or whatever, right? I guess min. 3/4 of my hay ends on the compost pile. Not a big deal for 3,50€ bales that last for more than a week for 6 rabbits in winter.

Anyway, I make about half the hay I need myself (with lots of stuff like nettles). The bales I get from a local farmer, and the quality differs a lot over the year. Rabbits like hay from soft, young grass, horses seem to prefer that with some harder stalks in it - that is fine for rabbits too, but mine like the soft stuff definitly better. Less waste.

For me, the concept of single species hay was quite absurd when I first read about it online, here, hay is whatever grows wild on the meadows. And that is what wild rabbits thrive on (the meadow, not hay, of course) and is fed to every livestock. In my opinion, the more diversity in food the better.

:thumb: Rabbits need grass as the main part of their diet. Hay is dried grass - so a way of storing it to feed during the winter months, or all year round for convenience. There are many types of grass. Timothy is just one type. Rabbits would normally eat a wide range of grasses.

Anyway - I was going to suggest the Blue Barn at Otley (links already given) or Burnhills at Cleckheaton, practically next to the swimming baths (https://www.burnhills.com/search/hay). I use them all the time. The standard bales can vary a bit (as will most hay), but my rabbits and guinea pigs like the variety. They will bag it (big reusable plastic bag) for transportation for an extra £1 so you don't have all the bits to clean out of your car. They will also deliver.

There may be an equestrian supplier nearer to you (I don't know which part of Leeds you are in). Any standard baled hay for horses is usually better quality than pet shop bagged stuff sold for rabbits. Haylage should not be used for rabbits as it is fermented grass.

My rabbits hardly eat hay and I've tried a few things but still nothing has changed. They get lots of time in the lawn while the weather is good and someone recommended farm baled hay as it's tastier than shop bought. Does anyone on here live local to Leeds U.K, and use farm baled and if so where do you get it from? If not what hay do you use and recommend for picky mini lops!! Thank you in advance, Louise

Louise, thank so much for your PM.

I shall respond tomorrow if that's OK :wave:

Back