• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Okay, what the heck?

naohren

Young Bun
5RfMzph.jpg

I just pulled this out of the fur on Clara's tail.

I... I have no words. I don't understand how fur can work itself into a line like this? It didn't seem to be bothering her but it was quite a shock when I combed it out and the loose fur just kept coming like some magic trick. Has this ever happened to any of your rabbits? Clara has some really weird moulting patterns so I'm unsure whether I should check it out. I've been keeping an eye on her but there's nothing abnormal about her skin.

5RfMzph.jpg

I... I have no words. I don't understand how fur can work itself into a line like this? It didn't seem to be bothering her but it was quite a shock when I combed it out and the loose fur just kept coming like some magic trick. Has this ever happened to any of your rabbits? Clara has some really weird moulting patterns so I'm unsure whether I should check it out. I've been keeping an eye on her but there's nothing abnormal about her skin.

More fluffy Rabbits' fur can start to felt together at the base of the tail and his can lead to what looks like a fury blob or a fury string forming. To stop this happening daily grooming is necessary. Also, do double check that the skin is not damaged as Rabbit's skin is very delicate and easily torn as a felt of fur comes away.

I'll definitely check her today and see if it's damaged, though the fur seemed to come out pretty easily. I'll admit that I haven't been brushing them thoroughly as often as I'd like but I'm trying my best to keep up with it! I'm glad to hear that it's not too strange for this to happen - they're lionheads/dwarfs so they're a little fluffier around the edges. Thank you <3

5RfMzph.jpg

It looks extraordinary, doesn't it?

I have rarely had that happen, except with extremely fluffy ones. It's often difficult to keep on top of grooming, but now and again it's good to have a blitz as you've done, to check everything's OK with the skin underneath :)

I would get it checked my boy an indoor bun who at the time hadnt been out yet this year contracted mange! What the!!! Xeno is now the anti flea parasite mange and everything inbetween anti parasitic he is now on. Well him and ivy

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Back