Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye infection

Default Eye infection

Hello, my 8 year old rabbit has white discharge from his eye. He is prone to eye infections as he has a lot of issues with his teeth. He had a dental and tear duct flush recently so I am confident these are not the cause of his discharge. Whenever he has an eye infection he is given antibiotic drops. I already have an opened tube. Is it okay to use this and treat him myself or should I go back to the vet? He is eating and drinking as normal and acting as normal. Thank you for anybody who replies to this.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by faisel View Post
    Hello, my 8 year old rabbit has white discharge from his eye. He is prone to eye infections as he has a lot of issues with his teeth. He had a dental and tear duct flush recently so I am confident these are not the cause of his discharge. Whenever he has an eye infection he is given antibiotic drops. I already have an opened tube. Is it okay to use this and treat him myself or should I go back to the vet? He is eating and drinking as normal and acting as normal. Thank you for anybody who replies to this.
    Assuming it is Isathal then if the tube was opened within the last 4 weeks and stored appropriately it should be OK to use

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-449890

If it has been opened for longer then I would not use it

I would want a Vet to examine the Rabbit to make sure that there is no evidence of a corneal ulcer.

Thank you for your reply. That is the tube I have. It was unopened. Thank you for your help.

Wise Old Thumper

Thank you for your reply. That is the tube I have. It was unopened. Thank you for your help.
    You are welcome. You could also bathe the eye with cooled boiled water. Doing so will help remove the gunk from the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct). If there is no improvement after 48 hours of treatment then another Vet check would be necessary.

That is a great idea. I will do that. I will call the vet on Monday. Thank you very much for your help.

Wise Old Thumper

That is a great idea. I will do that. I will call the vet on Monday. Thank you very much for your help.
    Hopefully the eye will be much improved by Monday

Fingers crossed

Wise Old Thumper

In between administering the drops, you can bathe using cold tea.

Hi there

In your circumstances I normally ring the vet - even if the tube I have is already opened and part used. It's possible to use it if you're careful - my vet has advised this

I hope the eye clears up. I often use cooled boiled water and a cotton pad to clean away the discharge. Sometimes camomile tea. You can also add a pinch of salt (dissolved) to the water, as this acts as an antiseptic

Thank you very much for the advice and replies. I really appreciate it.