• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WWYD - With this?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

My dh brought this home and I'm hoping to make it into something for the rabbits, but I can't decide what I'd like to do with it!

We have tools available to drill holes or saw doorways, we also have weld mesh available. As you can see it has a lid which lifts off completely and could be used for this project or saved for something else.

Our outdoor rabbits live as a trio and two pairs. It would probably fit best in our 12ftx6ft run where the trio live, but could be attached to the playhouse or our other run possibly.

I'd love to know if anyone has some suggestions, thanks x

Studio_20170617_163437_zpsmztrjxhz.jpg

Studio_20170617_163202_zpsbhofmldr.jpg

Studio_20170617_163323_zps9ce4gyff.jpg

Thanks for your reply :)

I probably should have put in my op that it's around 4ftx2ft as it might not be obvious from the photos. So it's a good size.

Some ideas ive had;

Some kind of digging box.
Create partitions inside and an entrance, kind of a rabbit maze.
A shelter to attach to our other run, (would involve removing some mesh on the run though, not sure if I want to do that).
Remove the inner sections of the sides and hang lots of toys from it.
Turn it upside down and make a jumping box, create a ladder to get up, possibly using the roof wood.
Use as a junction box when we link the playhouse and run together (i.e have two tunnels with this box connecting in the middle).

Um, any more ideas anyone can think of? Thanks x

I like the digging box idea as that should be easy to make and if filled with damp playsand it may also work as a cool pit for them

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you both. Yes it's deceptively large.

I think filling it with sand is a great idea. I've seen on YouTube where someone has made something similar with a ramp going up and a doorway. I'm guessing they might end up using it as a toilet though, so I'm not sure if ill end up going through tons of sand x

I think filling it with sand is a great idea. I've seen on YouTube where someone has made something similar with a ramp going up and a doorway. I'm guessing they might end up using it as a toilet though, so I'm not sure if ill end up going through tons of sand x
Line with thick plastic so that if they do urinate in it, it won't soak into the wood. (Don't want damp sand soaking the wood either).

I tend to go through 10kgs every 3 months. This is even with them using as a tray every now and then - just scoop out the dirty bit.

Line with thick plastic so that if they do urinate in it, it won't soak into the wood. (Don't want damp sand soaking the wood either).

I tend to go through 10kgs every 3 months. This is even with them using as a tray every now and then - just scoop out the dirty bit.

Thanks dp, good idea, I think this is what we will do. Just got to get my dh on the case now x

If it were me, I would fill it with topsoil. Untreated compost or something like that. I prefer that to sand, which can get into eyes and nose, and also between toes and be quite irritating.

However, I know lots of people use sand (safe play sand) successfully :)

Could you adapt it to be a bit like the Manor Housing digging box? Pop a plastic tray in and have a higher up opening with a ramp or box, keep it all contained in the box.

Could you adapt it to be a bit like the Manor Housing digging box? Pop a plastic tray in and have a higher up opening with a ramp or box, keep it all contained in the box.

Thanks for the replies :)

That is similar to the one I've seen on YouTube and is probably a good idea. Thanks MM, I'll give some thought on whether to use soil or sand x

Back