Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Obtaining RVD 2 vaccine

  1. #1
    Warren Scout JuliaW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    108

    Default Obtaining RVD 2 vaccine

    Hi.
    I've just had my rabbit vaccinated with the combined vaccine and was aware that the second RVD strain is not covered by this. I had to take Bob to a different practice and pay almost twice (49) what I normally pay as my usual vet could not get hold of it due to manufacturing issues. They advised me to keep him ondoors until such a time that they had enough rabbits on a waiting list to make it worth their while opening a 50 vial. Missing the point that this does not offer protection. I asked the vet that I did see about a vaccine for RVD2 and she denied that there was one (but that they would be straight on it once there was????).
    Further research and I contacted my usual vet and asked specifically about the Filavac. They just offer the mixed one and are just not interested in RHD2. I contacted another large practice who again were not even aware of a vaccine and are not interested.
    I board my rabbit several times a year and just want to do the right thing but am at a loss as how to obtain it.
    Any suggestions? I live in Northumberland just west of Newcastle.
    Any help much appreciated.
    JuliaW

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaW View Post
    Hi.
    I've just had my rabbit vaccinated with the combined vaccine and was aware that the second RVD strain is not covered by this. I had to take Bob to a different practice and pay almost twice (49) what I normally pay as my usual vet could not get hold of it due to manufacturing issues. They advised me to keep him ondoors until such a time that they had enough rabbits on a waiting list to make it worth their while opening a 50 vial. Missing the point that this does not offer protection. I asked the vet that I did see about a vaccine for RVD2 and she denied that there was one (but that they would be straight on it once there was????).
    Further research and I contacted my usual vet and asked specifically about the Filavac. They just offer the mixed one and are just not interested in RHD2. I contacted another large practice who again were not even aware of a vaccine and are not interested.
    I board my rabbit several times a year and just want to do the right thing but am at a loss as how to obtain it.
    Any suggestions? I live in Northumberland just west of Newcastle.
    Any help much appreciated.
    JuliaW
    There are two Rabbit Savvy Vet's in Northumberland mentioned here :

    https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vet.../nothumberland

    Or Judith Brown at First Vets, Forest Hall, Newcastle

    http://www.firstvets.co.uk/staffs/10...ts-forest-hall

    One source of Filavac here, it is definitely available

    http://www.grovet.com/filavac-kc-v-10x1dose.html

    Info for the 'uninformed' Vets here :

    https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/own...estions/FAQRHD
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 17-06-2017 at 04:30 PM.

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    9,415

    Default

    http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk/

    This is a map showing vets who have the vaccine.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk/

    This is a map showing vets who have the vaccine.
    You beat me to it! I was just copying the link, returned to this page and it's already there!




    I'm truly shocked at the number of vets either denying the existing of VHD2 or the vaccine or knowing about both but not being willing to stock the vaccine. The vets I used to use are one of the practices who 'don't see the need' to stock the vaccine. I hope you manage to get it soon.


    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaW View Post
    Hi.
    I've just had my rabbit vaccinated with the combined vaccine and was aware that the second RVD strain is not covered by this. I had to take Bob to a different practice and pay almost twice (49) what I normally pay as my usual vet could not get hold of it due to manufacturing issues. They advised me to keep him ondoors until such a time that they had enough rabbits on a waiting list to make it worth their while opening a 50 vial. Missing the point that this does not offer protection. I asked the vet that I did see about a vaccine for RVD2 and she denied that there was one (but that they would be straight on it once there was????).
    Further research and I contacted my usual vet and asked specifically about the Filavac. They just offer the mixed one and are just not interested in RHD2. I contacted another large practice who again were not even aware of a vaccine and are not interested.
    I board my rabbit several times a year and just want to do the right thing but am at a loss as how to obtain it.
    Any suggestions? I live in Northumberland just west of Newcastle.
    Any help much appreciated.
    JuliaW

    Hi Julia and welcome to the Forum

    As Omi has posted, there's info about which vets have the vaccine.

    There's lots of additional info here:

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...10th-June-2017

    Do post there about your experiences of the RHD2 vaccine - anything at all is welcomed. I keep it updated as a running commentary

  6. #6
    Warren Scout JuliaW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Thanks all. Unfortunately some of the info is out of date. Have already tried some mentionned. Just spoken to someone at a very large nationwide chain and do not offer it nor have any plans to despite being a "rabbit friendly" vet. Such a shame. I have others from your lists and will start again on Monday and I will get there!. Saddened that no support/education from large proportion of vet profession. Bunnies are second class pets it would seem. I was once told by an experienced older vet that rabbits were saturady morning vet medicine as they were largely ignored by their owners. This could be levelled back at a profession which is to a large degree turning a blind eye to current risks. I'll post when I find a practice.

  7. #7
    Warren Scout JuliaW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    108

    Default Appointment made

    Hi. Just to update, got an appointment- 30 mins away- but an appointment with a vaccine non the less.
    Thanks for your advice, This a great website
    JuliaW

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaW View Post
    Hi. Just to update, got an appointment- 30 mins away- but an appointment with a vaccine non the less.
    Thanks for your advice, This a great website
    JuliaW
    I'm glad that you managed to locate a Vet with the Vaccine, I hope the journey is not too stressful xx

  9. #9
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    9,415

    Default

    Great news

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaW View Post
    Hi. Just to update, got an appointment- 30 mins away- but an appointment with a vaccine non the less.
    Thanks for your advice, This a great website
    JuliaW

    Hi Julia, I'm glad you find it helpful

    I hope the journey isn't too stressful and well done for finding a vet with the vaccine

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •