• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Obtaining RVD 2 vaccine

JuliaW

Warren Scout
Hi.
I've just had my rabbit vaccinated with the combined vaccine and was aware that the second RVD strain is not covered by this. I had to take Bob to a different practice and pay almost twice (£49) what I normally pay as my usual vet could not get hold of it due to manufacturing issues. They advised me to keep him ondoors until such a time that they had enough rabbits on a waiting list to make it worth their while opening a 50 vial. Missing the point that this does not offer protection. I asked the vet that I did see about a vaccine for RVD2 and she denied that there was one (but that they would be straight on it once there was????).
Further research and I contacted my usual vet and asked specifically about the Filavac. They just offer the mixed one and are just not interested in RHD2. I contacted another large practice who again were not even aware of a vaccine and are not interested.
I board my rabbit several times a year and just want to do the right thing but am at a loss as how to obtain it.
Any suggestions? I live in Northumberland just west of Newcastle.
Any help much appreciated.
JuliaW

Hi.
I've just had my rabbit vaccinated with the combined vaccine and was aware that the second RVD strain is not covered by this. I had to take Bob to a different practice and pay almost twice (£49) what I normally pay as my usual vet could not get hold of it due to manufacturing issues. They advised me to keep him ondoors until such a time that they had enough rabbits on a waiting list to make it worth their while opening a 50 vial. Missing the point that this does not offer protection. I asked the vet that I did see about a vaccine for RVD2 and she denied that there was one (but that they would be straight on it once there was????).
Further research and I contacted my usual vet and asked specifically about the Filavac. They just offer the mixed one and are just not interested in RHD2. I contacted another large practice who again were not even aware of a vaccine and are not interested.
I board my rabbit several times a year and just want to do the right thing but am at a loss as how to obtain it.
JuliaW

There are two Rabbit Savvy Vet's in Northumberland mentioned here :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve.../copy_of_county-or-city/england/nothumberland

Or Judith Brown at First Vets, Forest Hall, Newcastle

http://www.firstvets.co.uk/staffs/10-firstvets-forest-hall

One source of Filavac here, it is definitely available

http://www.grovet.com/filavac-kc-v-10x1dose.html

Info for the 'uninformed' Vets here :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Last edited:
http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk/

This is a map showing vets who have the vaccine.

You beat me to it! I was just copying the link, returned to this page and it's already there!

I'm truly shocked at the number of vets either denying the existing of VHD2 or the vaccine or knowing about both but not being willing to stock the vaccine. The vets I used to use are one of the practices who 'don't see the need' to stock the vaccine. I hope you manage to get it soon.

Hi.
JuliaW

Hi Julia and welcome to the Forum :wave:

As Omi has posted, there's info about which vets have the vaccine.

There's lots of additional info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-10th-June-2017

Do post there about your experiences of the RHD2 vaccine - anything at all is welcomed. I keep it updated as a running commentary:)

Thanks all. Unfortunately some of the info is out of date. Have already tried some mentionned. Just spoken to someone at a very large nationwide chain and do not offer it nor have any plans to despite being a "rabbit friendly" vet. Such a shame. I have others from your lists and will start again on Monday and I will get there!. Saddened that no support/education from large proportion of vet profession. Bunnies are second class pets it would seem. I was once told by an experienced older vet that rabbits were saturady morning vet medicine as they were largely ignored by their owners. This could be levelled back at a profession which is to a large degree turning a blind eye to current risks. I'll post when I find a practice.

Appointment made

Hi. Just to update, got an appointment- 30 mins away- but an appointment with a vaccine non the less.
Thanks for your advice, This a great website
JuliaW

Hi. Just to update, got an appointment- 30 mins away- but an appointment with a vaccine non the less.
JuliaW

I'm glad that you managed to locate a Vet with the Vaccine, I hope the journey is not too stressful xx

JuliaW

Hi Julia, I'm glad you find it helpful :D

I hope the journey isn't too stressful and well done for finding a vet with the vaccine :thumb:

Back