• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lost two rabbits in three days - devastated beyond words

LucyJK

Warren Scout
Hi Guys really need some advice and support....

so in August last year we bought two babies rabbits Twix and Tinkerbell

We lost our lovely Tinkerbell one week post spay op (discussed this in another post) when she was just 9months old

We got another doe from the blue cross to keep our Twix company (both around 10mths now) they bonded beautifully and it was so lovely to see, then just 4weeks later on Tuesday Twix died suddenly and now today only three days later the new blue cross girl Flossy has died in front of us.

They were groomed three times a week
Daily fresh vegetables
Burgess nuggets
They were both vaccinated and neutered
They were clean out every single day T
hey were eating, pooing and drinking well
No fly strike
No myxomatosis
No sign of injury or poison
Wormed

They had a lovely set up with a converted playhouse and attached run. Does anyone have any advice as to what could have caused it, we're thinking VHD even though they were vaccinated as can't think of what else it could of been.

Truly devastated as they were so spoilt and we did everything right and they were so young :(

So sorry for your loss. The shock is horrendous from unexpected deaths

When you say they were vaccinated, was that for VHD2 as well as the VHD/myxomatosis vaccine?

I am so sorry that you have lost both Twix and Flossy:cry: It would certainly appear, from what you have said, that it's possible they have both died from a virus. You said they were both vaccinated, is that also including RHD2?

Tbh Im not sure I know they're vaccinated for myxy and vhd but not sure if its against vhd2. I'll check with the vet tomorrow x

right I've double checked both their vaccine records and they both had the combined vhf/myxo so not the vhd2 :(

I'm so very sorry to hear this awful news, what an awful shock for you. R.i.P. little bunnies xx

I'm very sorry for your loss, RHD2 is a horrible virus which seems to be spreading, W&S has also lost several of her buns last week.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
yes after my friend (a vet) performed a quick PM she's sure its RVHD2 :(

so now Im busy disinfecting EVERYTHING and deciding whether or not to get more rabbits (obvs I'd get vaccinated for RVHD2, Ive checked and my vet doesn't stock it but can order it)

Back