• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating pellets

Alicia

Mama Doe
Beans doesn't have much interest in pellets or dry food in general, is this a problem for a growing rabbit? He loves kale, broccoli, baby corn, dandelions, readigrass and normal grass, and he's nibbled on a bit of hay but it's hard to get him to eat his pellets

My boy refuses point blank to eat pellets. I stead i get him hard rabbit biscuits and give him a fresh diet of salads fruits or veg.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Beans doesn't have much interest in pellets or dry food in general, is this a problem for a growing rabbit? He loves kale, broccoli, baby corn, dandelions, readigrass and normal grass, and he's nibbled on a bit of hay but it's hard to get him to eat his pellets

What pellets was he fed in his previous home ?

Beans was fed Wagg, which I'm still feeding him. I tried offering him a science selective junior pellet as a treat and he wasn't interested either. The lady I got him from didn't say that he didn't eat his dry food, but he was living with his mum and siblings so perhaps she didn't notice. He's still eating everything is, will it do him any harm?

Beans was fed Wagg, which I'm still feeding him. I tried offering him a science selective junior pellet as a treat and he wasn't interested either. The lady I got him from didn't say that he didn't eat his dry food, but he was living with his mum and siblings so perhaps she didn't notice. He's still eating everything is, will it do him any harm?

Is Wagg a Muesli feed ?

Yes that's right, he's not eating any/very little of his muesli and I've tried offering him some science selective junior as well and he's not interested in that. He's very keen on his veg and he loves grass

He is eating some hay and loads of grass

I assume he was out on grass daily in his previous home ? I'd keep a close eye on his output and also weigh him every few days. He should be gaining weight at a reasonable rate. I'd get him checked over by a Rabbit Savvy Vet soon too as it is important to get his vaccinations done. I'd get the Filavac done first, that covers for both RHD1+2. Then he could have the Nobivac Combination vaccine a few weeks later.

One thing to consider is that he may be a bit lonely as he will have been used to being with his Mum and litter mates. So that may be effecting his eating habits.

I gave up trying him on dry food he wasnt having any of it and getting distressed when i offerd it. He has hay and hard knaw treats. Mainly he loves fresh stuff and for 10 yrs old 2.2kg in weight.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

He's now started showing some interest in the dry food, he still much prefers his grass and veg though but that's ok. He's getting bigger and gaining weight so I think he's fine. Thank you for the help

He's now started showing some interest in the dry food, he still much prefers his grass and veg though but that's ok. He's getting bigger and gaining weight so I think he's fine. Thank you for the help

I'm glad he is thriving. If I had a bunny who refused one food type I'd prefer it be nuggets over grass, forage, veg, herbs & hay. Wild bunnies don't have nuggets is a reassuring thought I think

Back