• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long have you kept rabbits?

My first rabbit was Rosie, a beautiful Dutch I was 16 and this was 1980.

She lived alone in a hutch, wasn't neutered and was fed muesli. Hay was bedding.:oops:

She was however much loved. She had free range of the garden and ate the veg my dad grew. She used to come indoors and would leap up on to a lap for cuddles. If I had known then about litter training she would have been a house rabbit.

She lived to be nearly 8 yrs old.

In 1988 a well meaning boyfriend bought me Blackie after Rosie died. Again he lived alone and was not neutered. I think he may have had vacs for myxamatosis. He died in 1996.

By this time I had my son and didn't have rabbits again until 2013. My son was grown up and OH said about getting me 2 bunnies. (For years on birthday and Christmas present lists I had asked for a rabbit.

When searching for Dutch rabbits I stumbled across Rabbit Rehome and this forum. I had no idea about rabbits in rescues and all thoughts of 2 dutch rabbits from a breeder went out the window.( a local breeder had told me to get a male and female and just get the male castrated as less invasive than a female spay )

I got Will and Poppy from a local rescue in April 2013. Poppy sadly died in the July and after a couple of weeks we got Nancy as a new friend for Will.

I admit my 2 earlier rabbits did not get the attention that my current rabbits do, nor did they give me sleepless nights like Will and Nancy sometimes do, and I feel bad about that. My only excuse is there was not the information so readily available then that there is today.

When i was 12 my next door neighbor and his girlfriend used to rescue rabbits and i used to be the main carer. I used to run home from school every day and sit in the rabbit shed until my mum said it was time to come in. I even ate my tea with them. When the man moved in with his girlfriend they wanted to get rid of all the buns (12) and i begged my other neighbor to let me have them in her garden. I used to help this neighbor and sleep her house to keep her company. She let me have the buns in her garden until she got really old and had to go to hospital. I begged mt mum to let me have them in my own garden and she said why i had looked after them for 3 years without missing a single day, she trusted i wouldnt abandon them on her. I was 15 then and got pregnant when i was 17 and when i was ready to give birth my mum said they were all going to a farm because i wouldnt be able to keep up with their care. I was heart broke. Its took me until willow and squiggles to get over that but im glad i did.

You love rabbits through and through WS :love:

I can see how it would've taken so long to get over losing those rabbits :(
You seem to have your own little farm colony now though :D

I'm still a newbie in the rabbit world :lol: i brought home snoopy in april 2015, and he got me into this mess!

i wanted a rabbit since i was maybe 7 or so. we didn't have the space so it never happened - nor did we have the money. i couldn't tell you why i wanted a rabbit, i think little me was fascinated by them as i saw them wild (and used to feed the wild ones carrot :oops: ) a neighbour also had rabbits and bred them, so i think that started there. i used to hold my neighbours bunnies and feed them dandelions.

either way as i got older, i saved up a lot of money, did so much research, and asked my neighbour Sue if she knew of any rabbit breeders. she did, a rex rabbit breeder about 13 miles away. with Sue being like a second mom to me, she drove me over to the breeders house and i got to meet mom and the babies and ask a lot of questions. i was happy with the circumstances and he answered all the questions. the breeder asked me to pick one out, and this little opal rex came running to the front and chinned my hand. so i decided he was the one!

i decided to only get one bunny as i didn't feel ready for two, as i felt no amount of research would really prepare me for owning a rabbit.

Luna then came into my life in October 2015. i felt snoopy needed a friend, and i passingly mentioned it to Sue. she said she knew somebody that got their rabbit from the same breeder as I got Snoopy and that they didn't want her anymore. so sue took me 13 miles again to pick up this little rex, the same age as Snoopy. Luna was kept in some really bad conditions, no hay, no toys, just locked in a 80cm cage all her life :( at 6 months she'd hadn't seen grass before!

Luna's been a bit of a nightmare i'll admit, her spay was terrible and we ended up at the vets every day for 3-4 weeks (the amount slips my mind) and i spent a fortune on her. she's now blind and possibly brain damaged too - and has taken to being very aggressive and biting/digging me. but i love her and she never fails to make me smile. she knows her name too and comes running when called. i also have to love the sound of her paws when she runs :love:

either way - ive discovered rabbits are like naughty little toddlers who don't understand the word "no" :lol: who needs kids when you have a bunny?

Just coming back to this thread and reading your stories :D

Yes, who needs kids indeed :lol:

Back