Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 83

Thread: How long have you kept rabbits?

  1. #61
    Warren Veteran Fellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,261

    Default

    My love of rabbits started in a typical fashion - hubby went to pet shop to buy fish food, and came home with Bobo.

    I remember coming home from work and he proudly showed me a very small rabbit cage - no rabbit because Bobo was hiding and we left him be. But I was furious - we were strapped as usual for cash and did not have the 100 hubby had spent. And even then, I think I instinctively knew there was more to keeping a rabbit than a hamster!!!

    We brought Bobo out on the 2nd night - and he was very subdued and docile but tucked into the whole carrot we gave him - we realised his water levels in his bottle hadn't dropped so we gave him a bowl of water which he devoured - poor fella was so dehydrated - which really did liven him up.

    Thank goodness for the internet and RU who educated us quite quickly in how to keep a rabbit properly and we soon got rid of the tiny horrible cage and improved his diet etc...and got him neutered so he could have a partner - who was Harley. They made a lovely couple but so not into humans.

    Out bunny family grew quickly from that - we couldn't resist a bunny in need and have hopefully given them all a good life. They don't have quite the space they ideally need - but they get everything else, included AC units on full blast in this hot weather!

    We now have 9 rabbits - Bobo and Holly are 6 this year. Bobo has incurable EC...but he's still going strong.

    I don't want anymore rabbits now though - it's tough to give them the time and attention they need so we are going to allow the numbers to fall naturally now to zero. The youngest are only 1 years old so fingers crossed will be with us for many years still but after that - I think it'll be time to replace carpets and doors and skirting boards and reclaim the upstairs of the house as ours.

    I will always be so grateful that I've been priviledged and lucky enough to get to know what wonderful creatures rabbits are and my warren will always have a huge special place in my heart and memories.

  2. #62
    Mama Doe supersonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Leeds/Cornwall
    Posts
    2,189

    Default

    I got my first rabbit, Flopsy, for Christmas when I was 4. She was a gorgeous little butterfly lop. We'd just moved from a very rough area to a much nicer one, but the house was a state, so over the rest of winter she was allowed to live inside! She lived at my grandparents until Christmas day, where they used to let her sit on the sofa whilst they watched TV on an evening, so she was the loveliest girl ever. Needless to say, Peter Rabbit was my favourite book.

    I then got Thumper (my creativity with names was not so great back then), he was much less friendly, but a lovely, shiny, black bun. He was also a nightmare to catch

    When Thumper died, I got Mopsy, who then turned out to be a boy, so was now Motley! Unfortunately, we didn't have proper bolts on the hutch and a fox got in. He was only 2, and I'm still devastated that I let that happen. You can't change the past, but you can learn from mistakes.

    Now, I have Sonic. The most incredible animal I've ever come across. He's intelligent, brave, funny, sassy, and just bloody lovely! He turns 8 this week My knowledge of all things rabbits has improved massively from RU, and I'm so grateful! I don't post much anymore, but I still read, and still learn. Without RU, I would have never have known that his problem last year was dental, and he probably wouldn't be here without all of you lot!

    So... I guess that means I've had rabbits for 18 years wouldn't change any of them for the world, but I have to say, Sonic is just something special!

  3. #63
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~ILoveMyBunny~ View Post
    Since the 8th November 2003 So coming up on 14yrs.
    We went to Birdworld in October that year where they have a farm (Jenny's Farm I think it was called - still there to my knowledge) and they had young baby rabbits all on a table-thing for people to stroke and interact with. Initally I liked the little black one but soon fell in love with a little brown one. She was the only one who would be stroked for a long time but was soon showing a cheeky side as she tried to climb the umbrella's that were attacted to the table. They were folded up and not in use - she tried to climb up the inside of the umbrella cover
    By the time we got to the carpark I'd picked out the name Willow and spent the next few weeks trying to convince my parents. Birdworld said she'd be ready to leave on the 8th of November and that's when we picked her up. My Mum wanted to get her a friend to keep her company but my Dad wouldn't let us. She never did get a friend but she had such a close relationship with me I don't think she minded too much. We spent so much time together, we used to play together all the time. She liked to race me from one end of the front room to the other and we did that every day she liked chasing games too though prefered to chase me than the other way around (understantably!). She'd binky all the while and once she'd finally worn herself out, quite some time after she'd worn me out, she'd flop in the middle of the room and hug into me. Sometimes we'd lay there and fall asleep together.

    She was my closest friend for just short of 11yrs. I miss her every day. She was such a special girl. She was my only friend growing up (I was about 11 when I got her) and got me through some very difficult times, especially a few years ago when my parents split and the nightmare that came with that. I can honestly say I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for her.

    She's the bunny in my avatar.

    I fell in love with rabbits because of her and since having had more I've grown to see what truly amazing, special animals they really are. Most people really don't appreciate how wonderful they truly are. I'd give anything for mine and I'd never be without rabbits now.

    It sounds like you had a fabulous bond with Willow Sometimes one particular rabbit becomes so pivotal and special in our lives, it's hard to imagine going on without them.

    I'm sorry your parents split - that's so painful, but glad you had her with you. They keep us going and give meaning to lives that may otherwise be very difficult.

    She's very beautiful

  4. #64
    Warren Veteran keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    6,274

    Default

    Since I was 4 but with a hiatus from 15-30 ;P '4-15' was the same rabbit, Charlie the indestructible Nethie
    The geeky one...



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

  5. #65
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,873

    Default

    I'm a relative newbie to rabbits. Growing up we always had cats. I started thinking seriously about having a pet rabbit about three years ago. I mulled over it for quite a while until one day my sister in law told me a woman she worked with was going abroad and was looking for a home for her rabbit. That's how I acquired Scrappy ❤️❤️❤️She certainly was a baptism of fire to the world of rabbits! Due to her breeding blocked tear ducts were a recurring issue. Then I discovered she hadn't been spayed so that was something I needed to do. Not something I ever want to go through again especially since she had to go back for a second op a couple of days afterwards to fix a hernia!

    After I lost her I got Peanut Butter and Snoopy, my first experience of a rabbit pair . Chocolate Fudge Cake is now the fourth rabbit I've owned. I lost Scrappy after 11 months and Peanut Butter after 6 months and I felt I was cursed to lose my bunnies within a fairly short period of time. So it was a huge relief for me once both Snoopy and Fudgie reached the one year gotcha day milestone! I've had Snoopy now for around 20 months and Fudgie around 14 months.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

  6. #66
    Wise Old Thumper Blackberry & Co's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Planet Blackberry
    Posts
    29,911

    Default

    I've always loved bunnies - I had bunny toys instead of teddies as a baby (and still have them, 47 years later!). We had a family bunny, Snowy, when I was about 6, but despite my love of bunnies I never became a bunny slave until I was 39, when I worked at a petting farm (never again!) and Blackberry & Co were left there as tiny babies. I'd always enjoyed helping with my mum and sister's pets (dogs, guinea pigs, budgies etc) but hadn't wanted the commitment of being a full time pet slave myself. I was working with bunnies and guinea pigs, and even then wasn't tempted.

    Then I saw Blackberry, Dandelion, Buttercup and Clover.....and they literally changed my life That was 2009, and I've been a bunny slave ever since


    Sleep tight, wee Blackberry x

    Professional Animal Artist
    http://www.facebook.com/DandelionsGallery
    Rabbit & Guinea Pig themed items ideal for gifts and treats available at:
    http://folksy.com/shops/DandelionsGallery
    http://www.dandelionsgallery.co.uk

    LJ & The Boys have a FB page!
    http://www.facebook.com/LJandTheBoys?ref=hl

  7. #67
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    162

    Default

    October 2016!

  8. #68
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I'm a relative newbie to rabbits. Growing up we always had cats. I started thinking seriously about having a pet rabbit about three years ago. I mulled over it for quite a while until one day my sister in law told me a woman she worked with was going abroad and was looking for a home for her rabbit. That's how I acquired Scrappy ❤️❤️❤️She certainly was a baptism of fire to the world of rabbits! Due to her breeding blocked tear ducts were a recurring issue. Then I discovered she hadn't been spayed so that was something I needed to do. Not something I ever want to go through again especially since she had to go back for a second op a couple of days afterwards to fix a hernia!

    After I lost her I got Peanut Butter and Snoopy, my first experience of a rabbit pair . Chocolate Fudge Cake is now the fourth rabbit I've owned. I lost Scrappy after 11 months and Peanut Butter after 6 months and I felt I was cursed to lose my bunnies within a fairly short period of time. So it was a huge relief for me once both Snoopy and Fudgie reached the one year gotcha day milestone! I've had Snoopy now for around 20 months and Fudgie around 14 months.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Aaaww Scrappy - when I met you last year I thought you'd kept bunnies for ages

    Did you find the bunnies destructive, or not on the whole? You seem to have had a baptism of fire.

    It's a lot of hard work and heartache, but once hooked on rabbits it's often really hard not to have them around

  9. #69
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry & Co View Post
    I've always loved bunnies - I had bunny toys instead of teddies as a baby (and still have them, 47 years later!). We had a family bunny, Snowy, when I was about 6, but despite my love of bunnies I never became a bunny slave until I was 39, when I worked at a petting farm (never again!) and Blackberry & Co were left there as tiny babies. I'd always enjoyed helping with my mum and sister's pets (dogs, guinea pigs, budgies etc) but hadn't wanted the commitment of being a full time pet slave myself. I was working with bunnies and guinea pigs, and even then wasn't tempted.

    Then I saw Blackberry, Dandelion, Buttercup and Clover.....and they literally changed my life That was 2009, and I've been a bunny slave ever since

    They are certainly life-changing pets

    Though I am sometimes at a loss as to how to explain why to anyone

  10. #70
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Aaaww Scrappy - when I met you last year I thought you'd kept bunnies for ages

    Did you find the bunnies destructive, or not on the whole? You seem to have had a baptism of fire.

    It's a lot of hard work and heartache, but once hooked on rabbits it's often really hard not to have them around
    Well they do have their moments of destructiveness. They've had a nibble on the bottom of the sofa (I cannily got one with replaceable covers) and bits of the rug. Shoes left out also get a going over. Most of all they've given my books a good pasting, they even pull them off the shelves to do it!

    But considering they have full free range of the whole flat 24/7, including when I'm out or in bed the destruction
    is nowhere near as bad as it could be!

    To be honest I'd much rather have a bit of nibbled furniture so long as they can pootle about when and where they please. I'm so used to having them free roam that the idea of having them confined feels weird to me.

    Only downside is that I'm now obsessed with exposed wires. When I go round a friend's house and see wires across the floor I always think "Aaargh cover them up, they're going to get chewed!" Even though none of my friends have rabbits


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •