Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long have you kept rabbits?

Default How long have you kept rabbits?

Just interested ....

I know some people don't have them any more, but I'd love to know when you got *into* them

........ and why and how, if you have the time to spare

Warren Veteran

Well my very first encounter with rabbits was apparently when I was around 3 or 4 and I kept letting my sister's rabbit Timmy out of his hutch. He would then go and hide in between the side wall of the garage and the fence at my parents' house, which meant my sister and my parents had to spend several hours trying to coax him to come out with lettuce leaves Not funny really.

Then starting from about 35 years ago when I was a respectable married woman with young children we had lots of rabbits. As is often the case they were "my rabbits" rather than the childrens'. Although they probably took more of an interest than some children do. I'm afraid they were all kept in single hutches. None were neutered. They were fed muesli and their bedding was sawdust. But they were fed forage and they very often were allowed to run round the garden. When the children left home, we didn't have any more rabbits.

Then when I was living by myself and fighting cancer, my daughter told me she had something for me in her bathroom. It was a gorgeous lop-eared, black and white baby rabbit sitting in her bath

Since then I've always had rabbits.

I never had rabbits growing up and was never particularly interested in them. Honestly we got them on a whim and we thought they'd be like big hamsters. How irresponsible!

That was two and a half years ago and I think that I'll be a crazy bunny lady for life now. They have taught me a lot!
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Well my very first encounter with rabbits was apparently when I was around 3 or 4 and I kept letting my sister's rabbit Timmy out of his hutch. He would then go and hide in between the side wall of the garage and the fence at my parents' house, which meant my sister and my parents had to spend several hours trying to coax him to come out with lettuce leaves Not funny really.

Then starting from about 35 years ago when I was a respectable married woman with young children we had lots of rabbits. As is often the case they were "my rabbits" rather than the childrens'. Although they probably took more of an interest than some children do. I'm afraid they were all kept in single hutches. None were neutered. They were fed muesli and their bedding was sawdust. But they were fed forage and they very often were allowed to run round the garden. When the children left home, we didn't have any more rabbits.

Then when I was living by myself and fighting cancer, my daughter told me she had something for me in her bathroom. It was a gorgeous lop-eared, black and white baby rabbit sitting in her bath

Since then I've always had rabbits.

Omi, how fascinating! Did that lovely baby ever become a house rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    I never had rabbits growing up and was never particularly interested in them. Honestly we got them on a whim and we thought they'd be like big hamsters. How irresponsible!

That was two and a half years ago and I think that I'll be a crazy bunny lady for life now. They have taught me a lot!

Big hamsters

I wonder how many grey hares they've given you though

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Omi, how fascinating! Did that lovely baby ever become a house rabbit?
    No, I've never had a rabbit, who lived in the house. Most of my rabbits, apart from the current three, have spent several hours at a time in the house when I've been home though. I never gave any thought to change of temperature

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Big hamsters

I wonder how many grey hares they've given you though
    Found my first one the other day
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    Found my first one the other day

Well my hairdresser found 4 on me last year. I wonder how many this year

I was 23, lived alone in a flat & wanted a cat. However loads of reports of cats being poisoned locally & it wasn't fair to keep one inside so I got a rabbit from my local pet shop I didn't know much about bunnies but had learnt you could keep them in the house. I didn't have regular internet access so most of my learning was from a few books, namely the House rabbit handbook. I instinctively knew she needed space (I've always had free rangers) but I dread to think how much muesli I fed her...ultimately that lead to dental issues & in turn to Frances Harcourt Brown who did much of my rabbit education.

I was 13, so 8 years ago. I had guinea pigs at the time and had done since I was very young, but my parents helped care for them. I went to the garden centre and saw Beano, as a tiny, very cute baby! I nagged and nagged my parents for her and the condition was I did all caring for and paying for her myself, so she came home with us I didn't know anything about rabbits, which is why she was put in a small spare cage we had in my bedroom (although she was let out very often). She was vaccinated straight away though and fed good hay etc. I soon found this forum within a few months of having her and improved her set up and daily life, and adopted Gordon soon after.

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)