Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Allergies

  1. #1

    Default Allergies

    Hello everyone!

    So my bunny Louis has snuffles, and has been constantly sneezing recently. After speaking to my vet I changed his hay to dust extracted hay and he seems so much better! (Yay!), but today I've come home from work and I've noticed him sneezing. It has been very hot and muggy today so could it be that? I'm assuming he has allergies to dusty hay but just wondered if the weather can trigger it off too?

    Oh and he is an indoor bun (my window is always open).

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hills View Post
    Hello everyone!

    So my bunny Louis has snuffles, and has been constantly sneezing recently. After speaking to my vet I changed his hay to dust extracted hay and he seems so much better! (Yay!), but today I've come home from work and I've noticed him sneezing. It has been very hot and muggy today so could it be that? I'm assuming he has allergies to dusty hay but just wondered if the weather can trigger it off too?

    Oh and he is an indoor bun (my window is always open).

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Yes, the weather can make a difference. Only in severity though - I find an allergic bun is allergic all year round

    However, sneezing may be a sign of something else, as you probably know. The fact you say he has snuffles - is there discharge, and is it ever white?

    Sometimes a flare up of their bacterial infection can also cause repeated sneezing, so bear that in mind. Allergies and snuffles can mimic one another

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Yes, the weather can make a difference. Only in severity though - I find an allergic bun is allergic all year round

    However, sneezing may be a sign of something else, as you probably know. The fact you say he has snuffles - is there discharge, and is it ever white?

    Sometimes a flare up of their bacterial infection can also cause repeated sneezing, so bear that in mind. Allergies and snuffles can mimic one another
    Thank you for your reply!

    Before I changed his hay he was sneezing daily (white discharge) which I assume is because of the snuffles? Changed the hay to dust extracted hay then he stopped sneezing and was so much better in himself! But today he's gone back to sneezing, red eyes and seems a bit down.

    Could the weather have caused the snuffles to maybe flare up!?

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hills View Post
    Thank you for your reply!

    Before I changed his hay he was sneezing daily (white discharge) which I assume is because of the snuffles? Changed the hay to dust extracted hay then he stopped sneezing and was so much better in himself! But today he's gone back to sneezing, red eyes and seems a bit down.

    Could the weather have caused the snuffles to maybe flare up!?

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Generally speaking I would say no. Snuffles flaring up would be down to a depleted immune system.

    However, the pollen etc in the atmosphere could be affecting him? What you've described there with the red eyes etc sounds more like an allergic reaction.

    No white discharge at the moment?

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hills View Post
    Thank you for your reply!

    Before I changed his hay he was sneezing daily (white discharge) which I assume is because of the snuffles? Changed the hay to dust extracted hay then he stopped sneezing and was so much better in himself! But today he's gone back to sneezing, red eyes and seems a bit down.

    Could the weather have caused the snuffles to maybe flare up!?

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally I would get your Rabbit examined by your Vet again. It is important to get on top of treating a bacterial infection promptly, if it is an infection he has. Of course that can only be determined from an examination by a Rabbit savvy Vet. He may require both systemic antibiotics and a topical antibiotic treatment for his sore eyes.

    Hot humid weather can exacerbate symptoms for Rabbits with chronic 'snuffles'. Rabbits find hot weather stressful, physiological stress which impacts on their immune system. Sinus pain is one thing that can occur, so some non steroidal analgesia and nebulising the Rabbit can be beneficial. Sinus pain will make the Bunny seem 'down'.

    Is your Bunny fully vaccinated ?

    I hope he will soon be feeling better x
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 15-06-2017 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hills View Post
    Thank you for your reply!

    Before I changed his hay he was sneezing daily (white discharge) which I assume is because of the snuffles? Changed the hay to dust extracted hay then he stopped sneezing and was so much better in himself! But today he's gone back to sneezing, red eyes and seems a bit down.

    Could the weather have caused the snuffles to maybe flare up!?

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Have you tried using echinacea to boost his immune system and see whether the sneezing diminishes?

    https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-...-fluid-extract

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Generally speaking I would say no. Snuffles flaring up would be down to a depleted immune system.

    However, the pollen etc in the atmosphere could be affecting him? What you've described there with the red eyes etc sounds more like an allergic reaction.

    No white discharge at the moment?
    Someone else said about the pollen so maybe it is that. TBH it looks like the white discharge has stopped since changing the hay (touch wood!!).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Have you tried using echinacea to boost his immune system and see whether the sneezing diminishes?

    https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-...-fluid-extract
    Yep tried that! Does nothing annoyingly!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Personally I would get your Rabbit examined by your Vet again. It is important to get on top of treating a bacterial infection promptly, if it is an infection he has. Of course that can only be determined from an examination by a Rabbit savvy Vet. He may require both systemic antibiotics and a topical antibiotic treatment for his sore eyes.

    Hot humid weather can exacerbate symptoms for Rabbits with chronic 'snuffles'. Rabbits find hot weather stressful, physiological stress which impacts on their immune system. Sinus pain is one thing that can occur, so some non steroidal analgesia and nebulising the Rabbit can be beneficial. Sinus pain will make the Bunny seem 'down'.

    Is your Bunny fully vaccinated ?

    I hope he will soon be feeling better x
    Thank you for your reply, he is due in to have his injections in the next couple of weeks so I'm going to take the vet a long list! He seems better today which is good. Yes fully vaccinated . Thank you x


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •