• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi/RHD vaccine reaction? Red eyes?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Pixel had his Myxi/RHD vaccination this afternoon and I've just seen his eyelids are very red on both sides. He was fine before the vaccine. He seems to be acting normal but his eyes are very very red. Not inflammed, just red. I've not seen any of my rabbits react to the vaccine before and he was fine the last time he was vaccinated.
I looked up nobivac's pdf for adverse reactions and the only ones mentioned is a possible lump at injection site and increased temperature (both of which I was aware of already) but nothing else.
Has anyone seen this reaction before? Should I be worried?

Pixel had his Myxi/RHD vaccination this afternoon and I've just seen his eyelids are very red on both sides. He was fine before the vaccine. He seems to be acting normal but his eyes are very very red. Not inflammed, just red. I've not seen any of my rabbits react to the vaccine before and he was fine the last time he was vaccinated.
I looked up nobivac's pdf for adverse reactions and the only ones mentioned is a possible lump at injection site and increased temperature (both of which I was aware of already) but nothing else.
Has anyone seen this reaction before? Should I be worried?

I would give the Vet a call this morning. If Pixel only had the vaccination a few hours before you noticed his sore eyes it would be a very rapid reaction to the vaccine if that is what it is. Having said that, it is possible. Given that Pixel has recently been unwell he may still be rather run down and his immune system may find the challenge of a vaccination a bit too much, meaning that if he was harbouring any sort of infection at a subclinical level the challenge to the immune system that a vaccine causes could allow any infection to become 'active' so-to-speak. It could be a simple case of conjunctivitis, but as previously mentioned it is best to contact the Vet this morning.

There have been a few reports of Rabbits developing mild symptoms of Myxomatosis soon after receiving the Nobivac vaccine.

''In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent.''

Full details here :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Thank you so much Jane! I must admit I was getting worried last night but the timing with the vaccination made me think it was a reaction to the vaccine rather than an actual infection of myxo. Glad to say I just checked him and the redness appears to have gone so hopefully there's nothing wrong but I will phone the vet anyway when they open just to make sure. I was already planning to do that but I was wondering if it was a fairly common reaction or something others had seen.
He had the vaccine around 15.30 yesterday, I noticed the redness just before I posted the thread (so around 8hrs?).
Thank you for the link - it has more information than the pdf I read!
He got checked before the vaccination yesterday by a nurse first then my normal vet and she was happy to give him the vaccine. He's maintaining weight nicely, still at 1.4kg and seems well otherwise so I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about. But as you say he could have had something that he was fighting off that I didn't know about. He's got some dried coneflower/echinacea treats (the rosewood ones). I dont' know if they'll help his immune system or not but I give them to everyone from time to time (they all got some yesterday mixed with their other dried herbs)
Thank you again so much Jane!

Last edited:
Thank you so much Jane! I must admit I was getting worried last night but the timing with the vaccination made me think it was a reaction to the vaccine rather than an actual infection of myxo. Glad to say I just checked him and the redness appears to have gone so hopefully there's nothing wrong but I will phone the vet anyway when they open just to make sure. I was already planning to do that but I was wondering if it was a fairly common reaction or something others had seen.
He had the vaccine around 15.30 yesterday, I noticed the redness just before I posted the thread (so around 8hrs?).
He got checked before the vaccination yesterday by a nurse first then my normal vet and she was happy to give him the vaccine. He's maintaining weight nicely, still at 1.4kg and seems well otherwise so I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about. But as you say he could have had something that he was fighting off that I didn't know about. He's got some dried coneflower/echinacea treats (the rosewood ones). I dont' know if they'll help his immune system or not but I give them to everyone from time to time (they all got some yesterday mixed with their other dried herbs)

Glad to hear that all is well this morning ! :D

Only just seen your post.

Glad all is well :wave:

Back