• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When should we feed Fresh Food?

ryanpm

New Kit
Hi,

I've been struggling to find a consistent answer online for when to feed your rabbit fresh food.
Our bunny is roughly 15 weeks old now - is this the sort of time to begin feeding fresh food?

Thanks!

My rabbit is 10 weeks old and the lady i got him from had fed him small amounts of fresh food from birth, I'm not sure if this is right or normal but he's eating them now with me. I think you'd be fine to feed your rabbit fresh food, just introduce food slowly and not too many different kinds at once so you don't unsettle his stomach

I've always introduced fresh food from 8 weeks. The vets have always said this is fine if done slowly and only one type at a time.
Mum would normally start weaning them onto solid food before 8 weeks so they should have nibbled some of mums fresh veg etc when with her.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What sort of fresh greens do you think we should start with?
We began with a small amount of Kale to begin with; which gave him problems!

We've been told dandelion leaves. Are there others that will be relatively safe?

Wild plants are good as they are very fibrous - dandelion is a good choice or blackberry (bramble) leaves. Herbs would be another option e.g. basil. Kale is fine too though, as long as you are just starting with little bits and bunny safe leafy green is a good option :)

Back