• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy hay alternative?

katie2000

Alpha Buck
I've just noticed that the hay is out of stock on TimothyHay.co.uk 😧

Can anyone suggest any alternatives? They already get Ings hay which I like to feed alongside another hay (previously willow warren, and more recently Timothy Hay.co.uk).

Thank you! xxx

I noticed this yesterday as well when I went to reorder. I've ordered from hay-and-straw.co.uk instead who I've used before and was decent quality but I've also ordered some hays from The Hay Experts. I use baled hay in litter trays and then timothy or treat hay in their hay rack.

I think last time I ordered they stated that this year's would be ready mid to late June. I probably won't be able to wait though :(

I got lucky, ordered some Friday which I received Monday - just as well as they are increasingly dismissive of their Ings

I've gone for the Cole Hay (Timothy hay) so will give that a go and see how they like it.

It's a shame to hear that the Ings hay isn't so popular at the moment 😔 I've got a new batch coming tomorrow so I'm hoping the buns will eat it (they loved their previous bale).

Fingers crossed Timothy hay is back in stock soon - I totally should've been more organised and put my order in last week!

Well just to update this thread, I have just ordered 7kg of 2016 Oat Hay from timothyhay.co.uk. This was said to be out of stock yesterday on their website. They are also offering their 2016 Timothy Hay again this morning, which was stated as being unavailable (I think) yesterday. I'm a bit suspicious, but I've given them the benefit of the doubt :)

Has anyone had the Oat Hay from them recently? I got it as I need hay (well the rabbits do), it's good for them to have a change and also it comes in 7kg size so I'll soon be able to get some of the 2017 Timothy Hay.

Bah! I've clearly just missed them either side! My two hay deliveries came today but the timothy hay doesn't look quite as nice but I never know, sometimes I think it doesn't look that nice and they eat every scrap.

Oh no I can't believe the timothy hay came back in stock the following day - typical :?

I've also ordered the 7kg of 2016 Oat Hay which I've not tried before.....it's quite a bit more expensive so thought I'd feed just a handful or so per day (if they will even eat it that is :D)

Bah! I've clearly just missed them either side! My two hay deliveries came today but the timothy hay doesn't look quite as nice but I never know, sometimes I think it doesn't look that nice and they eat every scrap.

I don't think we will ever fully understand the vagaries of rabbits' hay preferences. And to complicate the issue even more, there won't even be a common preference across the rabbit world :lol:

No rhyme or reason with bunnies!! They are absolutely loving the Oxbow stuff that came today though.

I just looked and it's there but still out of stock, I think they've just put it back up as it says the estimated time for this years hay.

Oh no I can't believe the timothy hay came back in stock the following day - typical :?

I've also ordered the 7kg of 2016 Oat Hay which I've not tried before.....it's quite a bit more expensive so thought I'd feed just a handful or so per day (if they will even eat it that is :D)

Yes, I'm not quite sure how that would happen with both the Timothy and the Oat on the same day :? It makes me a bit suspicious that they have sourced both from elsewhere.

Anyway, the hay will arrive tomorrow, so the rabbits will be suitably warned that the sooner they eat it all up the sooner they can have some nice fresh 2017 Timothy.

No rhyme or reason with bunnies!! They are absolutely loving the Oxbow stuff that came today though.

I just looked and it's there but still out of stock, I think they've just put it back up as it says the estimated time for this years hay.

How very odd :? Both types are now showing out of stock too. My order was confirmed extremely quickly this morning and it should arrive tomorrow.

I tried Newhay. It's ok but really expensive and my lot still preferred the inferior Timothy Hay. I also bought Ings which mine used to love but that got the same petulant indifference. I give up :roll:

Back