Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E-cuniculi infection - Flossie

Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    If she is falling over a lot then you could reduce her space down. You can also roll up towels/blankets and place them around the edges to act as bumpers. Flooring is also really important, so avoid anything slippy, uneven, soft and squishy. You want it to be solid and even but also something that she can grip to, carpet offcuts/rugs are perfect.
    I've put some towel bumpers in now (thank you) and I bought lots of rubber grip mats the other day to line the hutch area as it was a bit slippy. I can't see it making much difference right now, but feel better that it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionabun View Post
    Hi Jane, hope you are well. She has head tilt and some tremors & urinary incontinence , so we're both thinking it's EC. I won't rule out investigations for disc collapse etc (and other causes) , though right now, I'm worried about her being sedated etc. The only recent change is her chest sounding a bit rattly/snuffly, so I'm worried she has something systemic going on. She has started on antibiotics For this. It's all a bit unclear and we're going back tomorrow morning. She's comfortable at the moment, munching her herbs and grass as normal and I've given her a small amount of oral syringed fluids and all her meds. I put a towel under her back end on the grass early to help her mobility,but she was toppling still. She's a lovely bunny and I fear I'm very close to the delicate decision of what her life is now like, especially as an older bun, and whether her suffering is too much.
    Ah, so there are some other symptoms going on and I completely understand your reluctance to subject her to any diagnostics that would require sedation. It could be that she has two concurrent problems-EC and a bacterial infection. As you probably know, bacterial respiratory tract infections can also include ear infections. Ear infections can cause vestibular symptoms eg the head tilt

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/me...se_Rabbits.pdf

With the Panacur and the abx the Vet has covered for both EC and bacterial infection, so that is good. And of course the anti-inflammatories are essential too. Is Flossie the last of your lovely Dutchies ?

Hi Sarah. Thank you. She's a gorgeous girl and reminds me so much in nature of my gorgeous Nell and Sumi. Except with a hair do like Bonnie Tyler
    Aww... Had to snigger at the Bonnie Tyler though, as that's quite an image. Total eclipse of the bun.

Good to hear that she's still eating well. Has to be some sort of good sign.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster

Hi MightyMax, thanks for your reply. From my own experience, I'm pretty convinced it's EC, but realise I could be wrong. I can arrange investigations though she's sounding quite snuffly (and on abx) so worried about what this entails. I will speak to my vet tomorrow morning . What was the outcome and treatment for your little friend with the burst intervertebral disc, if you don't mind me asking?

You're welcome Fiona

You're instinct and experience may well be correct. However, it's worth considering other causes, especially as you've mentioned head tilt and infection. It could be connected with her ears, though not necessarily. I guess the vet will have looked into that possibility?

I wonder whether it's possible to do any of the diagnostics without sedation - the X-ray perhaps? That would show up what's going on inside the ear canal, and also the spine.

I understand your reluctance regarding sedation. It's a judgement call. I had to do that recently with a very snuffly bun as we just had to try and find out the cause of the problem. He was fine, but I know all these things take their toll of a rabbit's immune system. AS you know abx aren't always successful for snuffly things - have you tried/thought of nebulising?

Sadly, I have lost all of my Dutches now. The oldest, Nell, lived until she was nearly 13, and died just over 2 years ago.
    My remaining buns are Flossie and George, Hattie and Hamish. Flossie is a lion head lop, with the most fantastic mane of silver. A beautiful, gentle little animal.

Sadly, I have lost all of my Dutches now. The oldest, Nell, lived until she was nearly 13, and died just over 2 years ago.
    My remaining buns are Flossie and George, Hattie and Hamish. Flossie is a lion head lop, with the most fantastic mane of silver. A beautiful, gentle little animal.
    Oh I am sorry about your Dutchies, I remember them well Flossie sounds to be a dear little soul

Sorry to hear this

13 years is such a good age to get to ... You have lovely names for your current buns

My baby luna had ec. We went to trinity vets in maidstone kent. They gave her a different course of aggressive anti biotics the name of which eludes me. They gave us 2 more precious years our vet although good would have stuggled to provide. I dont know where you are if you can get to maidstone kent i would try.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoore36 View Post
    My baby luna had ec. We went to trinity vets in maidstone kent. They gave her a different course of aggressive anti biotics the name of which eludes me. They gave us 2 more precious years our vet although good would have stuggled to provide. I dont know where you are if you can get to maidstone kent i would try.

I think Fiona is in Scotland, so not much chance

Kind thought though, ravenmoore

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoore36 View Post

Thank you. We are in central Scotland, but lucky enough to have a rabbit savvy vet or two around us. Xx
    Nell, Sumi and Archie

Rest in peace Jess, Marcy and Clover -much loved