• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit no appetite.

edward

Young Bun
So I've noticed something really worrying about my bunny. I was just sitting in my room watching TV and my bunny was going crazy, jumping around , binkying etc. The next minute he just lays down, does nothing , I go downstairs (he normally follows me) and he didn't come with me, I tried to catch him but he kept running away. I carried him down as it was time to eat for him. Normally he goes crazy over the sound of pellets but this time nothing. I got really worried, I put my ear to his belly and I heard rumbling like he was hungry. I gave him the pellets, he just ran behind the couch. I had to carry him(I knew I shouldn't have) and put him in his pen, I covered it with a blanket and he ran to his litter tray, maybe he peed and pooped but I wasn't sure. He hasn't touched his pellets at all.

Recently he's been going out in the garden eating grass, flowers . He's been going outside for a week now and I don't think it would have been anything from the garden unless there could be a chance of small bugs he ate with the flowers or anything which might have an effect. But what I also have been doing is giving him some dried banana slices, couple of days ago I cut up about 1cm slices of banana and put the on the radiator to dry, I've been giving him a slice a day as a treat. Could the bananas have done something, he normally loves bananas. What do you think it might be. He's 10 months old and vaccinated. Sorry if there's lots to read I panicked as this never happened before.

Keep a close eye on him and if he continues not to eat then get him to a vets asap because he could be going into stasis. Also keep an eye on his output. What other food does he like? Could you try and tempt him with some of his favourite greens/herbs? Xx

So I've noticed something really worrying about my bunny. I was just sitting in my room watching TV and my bunny was going crazy, jumping around , binkying etc. The next minute he just lays down, does nothing , I go downstairs (he normally follows me) and he didn't come with me, I tried to catch him but he kept running away. I carried him down as it was time to eat for him. Normally he goes crazy over the sound of pellets but this time nothing. I got really worried, I put my ear to his belly and I heard rumbling like he was hungry. I gave him the pellets, he just ran behind the couch. I had to carry him(I knew I shouldn't have) and put him in his pen, I covered it with a blanket and he ran to his litter tray, maybe he peed and pooped but I wasn't sure. He hasn't touched his pellets at all.

Recently he's been going out in the garden eating grass, flowers . He's been going outside for a week now and I don't think it would have been anything from the garden unless there could be a chance of small bugs he ate with the flowers or anything which might have an effect. But what I also have been doing is giving him some dried banana slices, couple of days ago I cut up about 1cm slices of banana and put the on the radiator to dry, I've been giving him a slice a day as a treat. Could the bananas have done something, he normally loves bananas. What do you think it might be. He's 10 months old and vaccinated. Sorry if there's lots to read I panicked as this never happened before.

I hope that your Bunny is OK now. But if he is still not eating then it is very important that he is seen by a Vet this morning. When a Rabbit stops eating it is often due to pain. Not eating causes the motility of the GI tract to slow down and eventually gut stasis occurs.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

I woke up and I saw no pellets meaning he must have ate them. I gave his morning pellets and he ate those too. Maybe he was just feeling unwell but now he's running round like usual.

I'm glad things seem to be back to normal today. I would keep a close eye on him for a few days, especially his poo as that will give you an indication of how well he is eating. If there is reduced output, they are very small or irregular, he really needs to see a vet to check for gut stasis and whatever caused it.

I woke up and I saw no pellets meaning he must have ate them. I gave his morning pellets and he ate those too. Maybe he was just feeling unwell but now he's running round like usual.

I'm glad to see your rabbit is feeling much better this morning Edward :D

I'm glad that your Rabbit seems to be OK now. I'd keep a close eye on his poo output. Any reduction in the quantity/size of poo indicates that the GI tract motility is reduced and it is always important to consult a Vet about this, even if the Rabbit is still eating.

Back